Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with building a sub enclosure

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
Thanks a heap Holdenboy, your a champion and legend all rolled into one.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
No worries, here to help.

Do you access to a termlab spl meter?

I say this because its invaluable to test little things that may or may not increase your score. For example i open my glovebox and i gain 0.3db, i know its not much but if you can find 3 or even 4 of these little things then theres atleast a db right there. Things like glovebox, front seat all the forward and tilted all the way forward, sunvisors up or down, back seat up or down and vents open or shut on the dash all are worth a try.
Heres a link from a good friend of mine who was kind enough to write up a tutorial on SPL competitions, worth it to take some notes.....he knows what hes talking about and has tought me 80% of what i know about SPL.

Technical - Beginners Guide to SPL, Competing & Testing - Mobile Electronics Australia

And_ROOS - Yeah i know what you mean....a proper enclosure can make ALL the difference to how much bass output you get. That box i designed is SPL orientated, but if you were to make the port say 35 x 10cm and about the same depth it should play nice and low, which means it'll play most music.

VQXTC

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP Senator, VY SS Crewman
Just for the record you can get 3/4 inch mdf also known as 18mm.......

cheers

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I was hoping to get at least one box made up by Friday so that I can go to a competition at Autobarn Capalaba. But my dad said there was no way it would be complete by then. So we have decided to build some sealed enclosures first, these are for everyday use.

Kicker recommends 2 cubic foot filled with 50% stuffing. And yeah I am using 18mm MDF for the sealed enclosures. But I will use 1" fot the ported box.

Do you access to a termlab spl meter?
I wish I did. Maybe WOW down the road has one. Or at least a dedicated car audio store should have one.