Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with S/C VT-VX Calais problems

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
G'day All,
I was orginally looking for an SV6 but unfortunately my budget wont spread that far looking at prices of cars at the moment I can pick up a S/C Calais for under 20k so thats the go for me, the minister of finance(the wife) wont let me get a V8 but said the blown V6 was ok..
I want to put together a list of things I should look for when I go to buy one..
I would appreciate any help I can get..
I would also like hear your views on on S/C Calais..

Cheers,

Wayne

brad_m_is

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX Calais
supercharged calais

hey i just bought a vx 2002 calais for $21000. dont pick it up till next sat but when i test drove it it went well. its only got 35000 kays on the clock and it looks like it just rolled of the production line. shanghai red with cream interior. Cheers

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
What model are you looking at? For 20k you can get a real nice VX. If you wanted you could get a VT series 1 or 2 then have a heap of change for some mods.

Do a YT snout upgrade and possibly even one of thier intercooler upgrade.

I definatly recommend an exhaust! If you aren't going to mod too much go a dual 2.25" but if you plan on doing some rat bagging, putting big boost upgrade and poissibly a cooler, then go the dual 2.5".

I'd also recommend a set of pacemakers.

Either way, you can get a stock L67 later model with real low kms. Or get an earlier model and do a heap of mods. Then you'd be pleasing the missus and have much better performance than a stock 8.

As for problems,

The VT series 1s (the model I own) have a few probs, like the check straps on the front drivers door can come loose and crack the door pillar.

globes blowing on the climate control.

Leather shrinking and braking stitching, also coming out of plastic fixtures.

The motor stock can take some abuse, actually a hell of a lot of abuse! So if it has had regular maintinance then it should be fine given there are no irregular sounds when driving.

The Sway bar links are weak, the washers slip over thier retaining bolts and make a horrible clunking sound. This is easily rectified with a Whiteline link kit.

The diffs in the super 6s are the BW 80. If it was optioned with a LSD it will probably still spin one wheel. They are weak as piss from the factory. They need to be shimmed up to tesion the springs in them and even then need to be treated with care for it to last. The cwon and pinion however are very strong.

The tailshafts in the S1 VT have proper uni joints and are also very strong. The later VXs have rubber joints and to me look weak. They are there for better driveline smoothness as far as I know.

The gearboxes are very strong but could do with a shift kit to liven them up as they do have a sloppy shift.

The torque converter is a factory set 2600rpm. This is why they seem very doughy when moving it slowly, compared to the ecotecs 1800 (I think) they feel very snappy when given a quick jab of the pedal. The super 6 barely moves. But using the handbrake you can stall the super 6 converter to 3k. With a cooler and an exhaust and boost upgrade it makes for extremely quick or smokey launches pending traction... LOL

Brakes are good and are no different from mdel to model to my knowledge.

In the VXs there has been problems with the ABS modules so be wary of that.

One big thing to look for is there are two differnt racks that at this moment are unknown to be model specific. There are racks with black gear housings and silver housings. The main body of the rack is silver on both, but the part just below the orange rubber cover is either black or silver. If it is black don't worry as these are fine. The silver ones however have different metal lines and sit above the rack rather than infront of it. When the engine mounts collapse the sump sits on the pipe and rubs through it causeing a major leak. The black ones can have the sump rubbing on the cross member and go no where near the pipe.

It's not a major worry if you regularly check your mounts and clearances. But if I were choosing between two cars this would be a major deciding factor for me. I think they were introduced from VX onwards, but not 100% on that.

The VTs do have bad rear camber issues and can be rectified and it's recommended that this be done. Make sure the alignment allows for some slack in the rear axles. This is hard to explain without actually being shown.

Obviously look out for accident damage. The rear has a easy tell tale. If the taillights stick out a bit at the front edge on the side then it's almost certain it's been nudged at some point. It doesn't take much to do it, but if you see the tail light misalignment then make sure you thoroughly check the beaver for rust or cracks in the paint/sealer.

They are pretty good on rust, but check windscreens for rust a if the screen has been replaced alot of the time it can mean the windscreen guy could have scratched the paint. This is one of the MAIN causes for rust around the windscreens these days.

Check for rattles in the doors. Usually means the plastic sliders have broken. Very common!

That's about it for know, i'm pretty tired so the noggin aint workin as well as it should.

Best of luck finding the right car!!!

Tark:D

Last edited:
Reaction score
Website
members.dodo.net.au
Members Ride
VT 'S' Supercharged V6
Thats a short story Tark!!!!! But yeah what he said :D

TI0350

Reaction score
Website
www.kts350.com.au
Members Ride
White S2 LX Captiva Diesel
Thanks for the feed back muvro, It wont be for a bit before we go looking but I like to research cars before I go looking..
I'm leaning towards a VX my wife likes the back end better, yeah I know there's not much difference..
I'm going to be taking a mate with me who was a mechanic when i go looking so he will be giving it a go going over..
Love the car brad_m_is a real impressive buy, hope i can pick one up like that..

ScottB_33

Go Hard or Go Home
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Berlina Supercharged
What I tell all my customers is try and find one with the lowest kilometres you can for your bucks. If it doesnt have a owners handbook walk away and look elsewhere and find one that does. That way you can ring the selling dealer and ask what warranty work has been carried out if any!! Also you can check the service history properly as at that age the handbook should be filled out. Wise to have an NRMA inspection also as an independant third party has better clout when gaining waranty repairs from a car yard and the Fair Trading Commission listens to them. Hope this helps and welcome to the supercharged world. :wave:

muvro

TUFF 6
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais S1 L67 A4
SUPERV6 said:
Thats a short story Tark!!!!! But yeah what he said :D

BAHAHAHAHAHHAAH:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: