Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with VR :)

Bitemylip

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My AUTO VR seems to be running rich....

I just got it recently, knowing there was a problem with it.

I've just changed Oil, Oil Filters, Spark plugs, Leads, Air filter, Fuel Filter.

She fires up great, and idles fine, however when ever accellerating (cold or hot) it sort of farts/pops up the road, and has a massave lack of power. It doesnt seem like it wants to stall at all. Whilst coasting there is also no sign of problems.

The spark plugs fouled completely black after one lap around the block.

I checked the coils, and they seem to be in working order.

I've checked the codes and the error im getting is 73, which is the pressure control solenoid in the Auto, im partial to believe this is the problem, as i wouldn't think the auto could cause the plugs to foul.

It kind of sputters, then shifts hard, then sputters, then shifts hard - im not sure if this is because of the code 73 or the external shift kit installed.

could a faulty o2 sensor cause this by itself? or should i be looking for vacuume leaks? if so where? anything else that could contribute? could it just be the auto shitting itself?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
As I was reading your post I was thinking O2 sensors in regards to it running rich.

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
i have a feeling its more of a map sensor foult, it also sounds like what the old vl's used to do when water gets in to the cas, lol

also the code 73 is pressure control solenoid current foult which means the pressure control solenoid return amperage varies more than 0.16 amps from commanded amperage for one seccond. default action is harsh shifts, maximum line pressure

Bitemylip

Reaction score
The missing/farting ended up being a faulty spark plug from REPCO, which is funny, because it had the same problem before i changed them, which made me think it was something else going on.

Anyhoo no more missing, could still be running a little rich, so will change that o2 sensor asap.