Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with wires Please! Not a commodore lol

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Hi guys. I am putting a CD player in my girlfriends 89 pulsar and i have a problem with the wires. i have sussed out which wire is positive/ constant etc. My problem is with the speakers there is only 1 wire coming out of the back of the old head unit for each speaker. So all up there are 7 wires comin out the back, ones the positive, ones the constant, ones the ground and 4 are for the 4 speakers. So when i hook up the new headunit do i just run for example the FL- and FL+ into the FL speaker wire?

Any help would be much appreciated. let me know if you want it explained any better.

Cheers!

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Hi guys. I am putting a CD player in my girlfriends 89 pulsar and i have a problem with the wires. i have sussed out which wire is positive/ constant etc. My problem is with the speakers there is only 1 wire coming out of the back of the old head unit for each speaker. So all up there are 7 wires comin out the back, ones the positive, ones the constant, ones the ground and 4 are for the 4 speakers. So when i hook up the new headunit do i just run for example the FL- and FL+ into the FL speaker wire?

Any help would be much appreciated. let me know if you want it explained any better.

Cheers!

You will need to run new speaker wire to each speaker to suit the new deck

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Yep, do not connect speaker wires together. Im surprised it has old "common earth" speaker wiring in it being an 89 model, but yeah.......you'll need to run new wiring to each speaker.

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
Thanks guys

Well i don't think it has the earth wire i just assumed lol, i was just gonna run another earth wire. It has the positive, constant and the 4 speaker wires. I'm not sure what the last wire is but when i unplug it the radio still plays but only to about a quarter of the volume.

Does anyone know what this wire is?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
Nope, no idea what the other wire is, just run new wiring altogether.....youre going to the trouble of running 1 wire to each speaker, its no more work to run 2 ;)

jaisvz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VZ SV6
hmm, 89 model. common earth. doesn't sound likely.
are you sure the original head unit is 4 chan?

4 speaker wires... maybe 2 channels?

for best result, i would just re wire all speaker wiring.

Ryan.mate

ryan
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss sandman 5.7
pull the panels off and find out which colours are what. like on the old speakers

ryno_vrx

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR HSV enhanced Berlina
run your speakers off of a amp lad just as much work as running new wiring to the head deck if not easier and you'll get better sound

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
run your speakers off of a amp lad just as much work as running new wiring to the head deck if not easier and you'll get better sound

What??????

Lets see:

Work needed to install an amplifier:
* Run power cable from battery to amp
* Run RCA cables from head-unit to amp
* Install earth cable from amp to ground
* Run 4 x speaker cables from amp to each speaker

Costs: Wiring kit - $60-$70, Amplifier - $100-$200

Work needed to run new speaker wiring:
* Run 4 x speaker cables from head-unit to each speaker.

Costs: 15-20m of speaker wire - $10-$15

Seriously, WTF? yes, he will get better sound...but just as much work, if not easier? NO

MG's VH Wag

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore Exec
pull the panels off and find out which colours are what. like on the old speakers

Yeah done that i really wouldn't have a clue what the go is i pulled out the two front speakers which had two wires running to each and the colour of those wires do not match any of the wires coming out the back of the radio. There are 4 speaker wires that come out and each of those wires run to each speaker, i unplugged them one at a time and as i would unplug one wire one speaker would stop working then plug it back up the speaker would work, unplug the next wire and the next speaker would stop working and so on.

It is very weird it seems like the wire splits into two somewhere along the line. cause there are 4 speakers but only 4 speaker wires instead of 8

I think i will just run new wires all together it will save alot of confusion lol.