Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help with wiring

N

Nic17

hello i really need some help with my wiring of my vn calais. the trouble is my back speekers. i downloaded the wiring chart and it was a great help because i can identify what wires are the back speekers. and i have found that my yellow and red wire (constant 12v) has no voltage at all going to it. the orange and white wire has power and so does the plain yellow one. does anyone know how to trace the yellow and red wire so i can find where it is stuffed? and also what other things can i do to find how to get the back speekers to work. any help would be really appreciated. thanx heaps.

cohn

VN28CN
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais Turbo
your yellow wire isthe remote power, it should only have voltage if the head unit is on. thisgoes to the power antanna. the wires for your rear speakers are yellow blue and brown black for the passenger rear speaker and blue orange and blue black for the driver side rear speaker.
im not sure exactly where the wires run but try the centre console, and the drivers and passenger side kick trims, the one which runs under the door.
here are the rest of the wires aswell if u need them later. your grey and tan wires go to the front passenger side speaker and green and (light) green for the drivers side front speaker. black white is earth or negative, orange white for the power (unsure if its constant or accessories) and yellow is theother one.
hope this helps.
Cheers. :yeah:

N

Nic17

thanx for that but it hasnt really helped me at all. i already new wat all the wires did because i downloaded the chart. the reason i thought the yellow and red was a constant power source is because the chart told me it was. i got a volt meter today and checked to see if the back speekers were getting any power to them but they arent. how can i check to see where the line is faulty or what can i do to fix them. ive had the car about 6 months and they have never worked and its starting to really annoy me. i can see that it has had a different head unit in it and they have just got the stock one back in by cutting all the connection wires and wiring it back up so if anyone knows what i should do please help me out.
cheers.

B

bjturtle

Sounds like someone has changed the position of the pins on the connector to suit another unit.
You may have to use a circuit tester to check the position of the wires from the speakers to the connector at the head unit.
Had a similar problem with my VK where they cut the speaker wires in the wiring harness for some god foresaken reason.
Hope this helps
Vitt

gibbo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Hilux 3.8l vs v6 & 4L60E
You probably wont be able to measure much at the back speakers with a multimeter as the voltage is fairly low, get a 9 volt battery and touch the 2 wires at the radio that you think are the speaker, you should get a crackle down the back if they are the right ones.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
NIC 17: The best way to check if speakers are still connected is to check for resistance, using a Multimeter check for around the 4ohm mark. they might 3.5 - 5.5 ohms. But either way, they will read a resistance if they are connected together. Perhaps it might just be easier to run whole new speaker cable down the sides.

Gibbo: If using a battery, try not to use a 9V if it can be helped. A 1.5V battery is much better for all involved. Also, using a battery is a good way of determining Polarity of a speaker. As it is DC it will only push the speaker one way...up or down. BUT do not hold the battery on there for any length of time as it will start to burn out the coil, especially with a 9V battery. It's usually not worth trying to measure voltage at a speaker purely because it AC Power and constantly goes all over the place with the beat of the music, the lower tone produced the higher the voltage going into the speaker.

LEET: When installing a new HU it's always wise to not use the original Earth but instead affix it to the nearest screw on the body of the car. Also, some of the cars did have a slight variation in wire colours I think it was between the different series. Not too sure, don't quote me on it, but there were some differences.