Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Help!

badnerve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
I have a VP Calais, which is slammed and fits the standard vp Calais wheels no problems, When I go to put my VS Caprice wheels on which are 16' the tyres rub on the inner wall next to the shock in the rear but the fronts fit fine. The wheels camber in heaps, will a camber/ toe kit fix my problem? If so, what brand to get? The tyres are standard size I think 215/45/16.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Chamber kit will help. Also double check the wheel offset as I believe the IRS offset changed after VP.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
I have a VP Calais, which is slammed and fits the standard vp Calais wheels no problems, When I go to put my VS Caprice wheels on which are 16' the tyres rub on the inner wall next to the shock in the rear but the fronts fit fine. The wheels camber in heaps, will a camber/ toe kit fix my problem? If so, what brand to get? The tyres are standard size I think 215/45/16.

The offset is part of the rim spec to match the rear axle configuration, if you have VS Caprice wheels they will be 37P where as the offset is on your VP Calais will have been 26P through to 31P (majority are 31P). Spacers will assist with the offset issue unless you go out & get different rims which you wouldn't like to do (to suit VP IRS). You can get the Camber kits as Immortality has recommended like this :- Alignment Solutions.

When you say "rubs on the inner wall next to the shock in the rear" the spacers will help as I've mentioned - but in doing this, the wheels will sit slightly wider so you will need to roll the rear guards as well. This is to prevent wheel arch scrubbing & it's pretty easy to do with a rubber mallet, heat gun & dolly (small piece of 4x2 in a rag) Refer to my detailed instructions as a guide here :- Rolling The Rear Guards on VP-S

nqrith

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
i put some vr irs arms on mine to change the offset with camber kits so i could run ve Calais wheels. the camber kits work for some wheels but mine were rubbling bad. can run any wheel i want know with out any issue with the wider arms on.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
if your going to roll your quarters follow DJ_Cosmic_Fire's guard rolling tutorial carefully. this is what my quarters looked like before priming after some clueless jackass took a hammer to the inners. notice the bog, its like that on both sides....

72988d1256360708-vn-vp-project-cali-style-dsc03000.jpg

badnerve

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais
The thing is I have so much room between the arch and the wheel, just rubs on the inner & I didn't think I could roll the vp Calais since they have the spats.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
didnt even occur to me. yea your spat brackets are part of the quarter panel.

DJ_Cosmic_Fire

smarter not harder
Reaction score
Website
www.house-mixes.com
Members Ride
VP S-Pack Oct '91 - VT SrsII Wagon
The thing is I have so much room between the arch and the wheel, just rubs on the inner & I didn't think I could roll the vp Calais since they have the spats.

This will change with the spacers & camber kit, as it will add width & level the wheels out as well (so nowhere near the amount of space indicated between the arch & wheel currently).

hsvwgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 HSV Wagon, VP GTS
Sounds like you need to fit VR/VS rear control arm assemblies. They are different to the VP IRS in the wheel hub by exactly 19mm each side. This means that you will have 19mm more space between the inner wheel arch and the tyre after fitment. And you can get them fairly cheap too.
Prob best to fit a camber kit at the same time to save time & money later on.
Good luck