Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Heron White bumper touch up...

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Ok, so I'm selling the mrs VY so I thought I'd give the old girl a bit of a clean up. The front bar was in a pretty bad way- scratches, chips and scuffs. After trawling through JC forums and several google searches I thought I'd get me a pressure pack and do a bit of a touch up!
Purchased a can of flexible bumper primer, some plastic body filler, various sheets of sandpaper, can of wax and grease remover and a can of Heron White 679F. After hours of prep work sanding, filling, cleaning was time for some painting. Initially I had only planned on touching up various areas on the bar but it was in that bad a shape I decided to do the whole thing. I've given it 3 good coats and am very happy with the results. Now from what I have read a 2003 VY in Heron White does not have a clear coat, is this true? Also just wondering if someone in the know could advise me weather a wax or polish or even a sand with some very fine wet paper would be worthwhile? The paint has a dry feel about it?? I plan on giving the rest of the car a polish with a fine polish.
Any advise appreciated... image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
youll never get the proper gloss with 1k pressure pack can. you can buff it up if you have enough materiel built up on it, other wise youll just cut through... yeah 03 will not have clear coat. its a direct gloss 2k paint, basically gloss pigment mixed with hardener and sprayed directly on, aka single stage.

pedroc

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Thanks hi ryder, I'm pretty happy with it as it is now! Gave the bonnet a polish this arvo and its matching up pretty sweet. I put 3 coats of primer on and another 3 of paint. You reason I could give it a buff without cutting through?
Cheers