Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hi New to Forum

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
Gday my names Chris and in the course of my life ive owned a number of commodores the latest being My 02 VYSS ill post some pics after

Im from melbourne and want to share an expereince that i had tonight.

I was driving along when all of a sudden my steering wheel moved off centre, now being a mechanical fitter by trade new some thing was wrong so i slowed down. I limped the car home and made a few phone calls and got my mate who is holde trained motivated to come round.

I jacked the car and holy shi^ there is a bolt hanging out of the suspension. Now this car i just bought 10 days ago from a licenced dealer who supplied a roadworthy. its the bolt that holds the front strut to the chassis as well as you z bar. to say that im pissed is an understatement.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
Chris

Would you care to advise us the name of the business you purchased the car from.

cpbait

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss commodore 5.7ltr
HI Chris,

i'm a mechanic in Melbourne and can tell you this, ring up vic roads and speak to who ever you have to about road worthy issues and explain you story, take the car straight to the vic roads they tell you to bring the car too, get it towed there if you have to and show them.

this happened to a qualified mechanic i was working with but was oil leaks, vic roads made the place that did it fix everything and then checked the work afterwards, the place 1: got there ass kicked and 2: ended up spending 10k of there own money as the gear box had to be resleaed then blew up as they were driving it out of the driveway so they had to fix that too out of there own pocket.

don't be worried about pissing anyone off or being with out a car for a day or x amount of days cause vic roads will make sure the cars 100% road worthy and if any doubt afterwards just give them a call again, the R.W.C also has to only last 28 days so do it tomorrow and get onto it asap.

or you can ring the place that did the road worthy and get them to fix it straight away and get vic roads to check it after if still any doubt.

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
Thganks guys im on to it tommorow the car yard is R Longo and Sons cnr south road and ashley street, also discovered handbrake does not work at all posting pic of the loose bolt which ill also take as evidence whoever installed it used never seize grease and a normal nut instead of a locking nut:gun2::

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 220

Anwyll

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Berlina V6
Yikes, bad luck Chrisvyss. Atleast you have a direct and structured avenue for getting this sorted out and repaired with only cost being the inconvenience itself (hopefully if cpbait is on the money). There would be little recourse for such an issue in WA the transport department is less involved than Vic although this has other benefits (such as a far more lax approach to emissions).

Hope it gets sorted sooner rather than later.

BTW Welcome :)

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
Being from WA originally i know what you mean. to sell a car here in vic you have to get a rwc or you can sell it for less and take the plates back and they pay you for the balance of the rego, as for vic roads having teeth check this out

"What are your legal rights?"
VicRoads does not have authority to require the tester to make good your vehicle or otherwise compensate you. These are matters for civil action. You can seek professional legal advice from a solicitor, take your dispute to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT) or through the Magistrates court. Where a vehicle is purchased through a Licensed Motor Car Trader (LMCT) Consumer Affairs Victoria may be able to resolve the matter through negotiation with the LMCT.

Chrisvyss

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 VY SS
Went back today they made good and retightened and checked everything with me present also replaced windscreen and free tank of fuel woohoo

GenReaper

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.AusHeli.com
Members Ride
VY SS Series II Wagon
Welcome mate.

Just looking at that picture it looks to me like you may have some dodgey power steering rack seals cause of the oil or maybe a leak above it on the engine some where.

Ide be tempted to undo the rack boot and see if it piss's oil out and if it does get them to fix that too.