Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID kits

HoldenOnn

Roll Cage Territory
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais Series 2 HBD V6 Sedan 2004
How Can Only 4300k HIDs Give Out Max Lumens When You Can Get 15,000k HIDz???

You are under the same impression as many people regarding automotive lighting. Im one person who loves buying brighter headlight bulbs so 'I' can see better ahead of my vehicle whilst driving. I 'do not' believe that oncoming traffic should have to look at some 6000k+ bulbs with glare just because the driver loves the blue tinge and the look.

For those of you that are interested, then click on the link below and read 'step 2' paragraph in particular;

HID / Xenon Conversion Kit :: Sigma Automotive

For those that can't be bothered clicking the link, here is a simple chart for reference below;

Color Temperature Lumen (±7%)
4,100 ~ 4,300 K.....2,800 ~ 3,200 lm
5,000 K.................2,700 lm
6,000 K.................2,600 lm
8,000 K.................2,000 lm

** K is colour temp and lm is Lumens (light output. The higher the lm number, the brighter and more light) **

Also, those people who like to learn, then go to the link below;

Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply

If after reading all that, and you put emphasis on safety then go to this site and have a look at some globes which will give you more light, and will also not glare oncoming vehicles if your lights are properly adjusted. Click below;

PowerBulbs - Car Bulbs, Headlight Bulbs, Xenon Bulbs from Philips and Osram, including Philips Xtreme Power and Osram NightBreaker globes.

Regards
Matt

TMM

OEM+
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina S2
Yeah go for 4300k if you actually want to see the road rather then looking fully sick.

Can I put HID into my foggies even though they are not projector style?
Yes. But of course they will be very glarey to oncoming traffic. Projectors are used in conjunction with HID because you can use a much brighter globe without directing the light into oncoming traffic so much.
Commodore fog lights aren't really fog lights anyway because they throw light everywhere instead of having a proper cutoff. They are really just driving lights, which should be used in the same way as high beams (only when there is no on coming traffic :)).

I was under the impression that the fog lights used H11, but i could be wrong (I was probably reading the specs for the projector ones).

Last edited:

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia
Why Do You Type Like Thisz?

Perhaps do some research, as you are obviously not aware of what lumens and k (colour temperature) actually are.

No wonder so many people fool for the 12,000k etc. products, because they have no idea what 'k' is. They just assume that the higher the number, the better the product or the brighter the light (much the same as peak or max output numbers on speakers).

But as above, anything above 4300k and the lumens ('brightness') of the globe decreases. The higher the colour temperature (k) of the globe, the duller the light but more blue or purple its appearance becomes. All OEM/factory HID's are 4300k.

HAPPY!!!! Get over it not here to winge about how people type here to take cars mate

And thanks for the info on the HIDs i didnt know any info on then i just got offered a set off a guy at work so i bought them and put them in

DUK13Y

When in doubt, slide it out
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VEII SSV, VYII Berlina, '97 Lancer

FAT.36L

8,000RPM FTW!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo S13 Onevia