Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hid lights on vt

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
Hi all
I own a 99vt commodore. I want to put hid lights in it and id like to know what type of bulbs the vt holds? Like are the lo beams h1 hi-lo beam globes and the hi beams h3s
Thats an example of what i need to know
Any help would be great please

Also they are plastic lenses so i know i cant put 55watt hid in it so 35s will have to do lol

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
1. Do you have standard VT lights? The conversion kits use the same numbers.. ie HID H1 and HID H4. If you have aftermarket projectors they would be H7 and H11.

2. You can put 55W in no problems at all, plastic lenses or not. I wouldn't, the 35W are already too bright and not suitable for your headlights.

3. If you don't have aftermarket projector lights, some decent standard globes, ie Phillips +100 Extreme Vision, will provide you with better light, cost less, will keep your car legal (HIDs are not) and will at the very least save you annoying other motorists (and possibly may someday prevent an accident that kills someone).

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
thank you for your comment
the lights are standard,and to my knowledge HID lights are legal so long as you dont exceed 10 000 k brightness.

and what you are saying is that the lights are H1 hi beams and H4 hi-lo beams?

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
the lights are standard,and to my knowledge HID lights are legal so long as you dont exceed 10 000 k brightness.

just so you know the "k" isnt how bright, but the color, you want around 4300k-5000k

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
i was told by a cop ages ago.

but i need to know what bulbs to get for it?
both hi and lo beams.
i need to know if there h4,h1,h3 and what ones are what ?

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina

and what you are saying is that the lights are H1 hi beams and H4 hi-lo beams?

Yes they should be H1 and H4 as sold in the conversion kits.

Your knowledge is completely incorrect, and you should investigate further before taking this route. I'm simply offering facts, not opinions. This subject has been comprehensively covered in many threads, take the time to search and you will see. Your cop needs to learn the law.

In any state of Australia, HID's are illegal in any kind of light except for the Projector style lamps they are designed for. Additionally, your car is required to have windscreen washers and self levelling suspension to use HID lamps.

Here are a couple more facts for you. Blue lights are not as effective as white lights. 10,000K is very blue, and the light they offer you will be piss poor, but the design of the light you are putting them in will mean they will still blind oncoming drivers.

K or Kelvin is a measure of colour temperature, not power. A high number is blue, a low number is yellow. Sunlight is about 4300K, so aim for somewhere between 4000K and 5000K.

35W HID are very powerful, 55W is completely unnecessary and dangerous to other drivers. 55W will not hurt the plastic on your headlight lenses though, not even close.

If you really must insist on installing them.. firstly, buy a set of aftermarket projectors to fit them in (assuming they are available for a VT?), and secondly, get lights which are 4000-5000K, no higher or lower. You still wont be legal, but you will be a lot closer to legal, and less likely to kill some poor soul driving toward you.

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
If you are unsure of what bulbs to get, pull them out and have a look, it's stamped on the globe.......easy.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
The outer (high/low H4) globes are Phillips +100 Extreme. The inner (high H1) globes are 10000K HID.

attachment.php

attachment.php

If I had a battery in that car at the moment I would show you a full set of Phillips (the HID are gone), they are awesome. Better light than the HID in those lights, and totally legal.

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
so bye the the aftermarket prjectors,do you mean the altezza lenses? and DAKSTER, the set up on your car looks awsome.