Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hid lights on vt

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
i have h4 hi/lo 8000k head lights... h1 8000k high beams... h3 8000k fog lights.... never had a problem, passed road worthy, never been flashed or pulled over for them...

lufkin

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Manual LS1 Statesman & VT V6 Calais
i dont understand why people go so high up into the kelvin range to get the blue look, its actually less light

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
i dont understand why people go so high up into the kelvin range to get the blue look, its actually less light

i didnt get them for the blue look.. i got them because at the time i didnt know anything about them and that was the only ones i knew of haha.. but i wont be putting them on the new car.. just get some decent standard bulbs this time..

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
i have h4 hi/lo 8000k head lights... h1 8000k high beams... h3 8000k fog lights.... never had a problem, passed road worthy, never been flashed or pulled over for them...

At 8000k you are doing it purely for looks, the light is far inferior. The bluer the light, the less penetration it has. Nice and bright close up, a waste of time in the distance.

I also got caught out with the salesman's recommendation too, when I began my search for better lights. I'm glad you have realised that much at least. Don't ask the salesman.

Suffice it to say that in the end, I tried every possible combination of light, colour and globe that was available for my car, and I finished with Phillips globes and Altezza lights. That combination WORKS THE BEST on a car without projectors, and having tried every combination rather than just listening to other peoples crap, I feel I can say it definitively. I would like to try projectors too, but they just aren't available for my car.

The guy that passed your car for roadworthy with HIDs in standard lights has broken the law, and his license would be potentially at risk if he were caught doing this too many times. He just hasn't noticed, not done his job properly. These laws apply in every state of Australia.

I'm hoping I can find such a guy when I have finished building my LED tail lights.. no ADR approval.. a shame you aren't in QLD, I'd be asking for his phone number :)

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
where did you get ya fog lights from,and can the be fitted to a standard VT bar?

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8

where did you get the fog lights from and can you get them for a standard VT bar?

smp009

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore s2 3.8
and if you want the light to shine further,get 6000k lights,they shine further in the distance,but the 8000k shine a little bit further to the sides of the roads,which is why i need better lights,because i live in a small town and travel from manilla to tamworth alot,and i like to see animals lol

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
i dont have a standard bar... i have a reborn monaro front bar so its already set up for fog lights.. there are some that would just screw into the standard bar but looks sh1t

jason_85

Reaction score
Members Ride
02 Vy SS and 99 Vt SS
but honestly mate.. dont waste your time and money on hids like i did... nothing to what you expect.. go the phillips +100 or what ever they are.. i will be...

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
but honestly mate.. dont waste your time and money on hids like i did... nothing to what you expect.. go the phillips +100 or what ever they are.. i will be...

Ditto. Been there, done that, wasted the money to find out.