Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HID XENON Conversion

tja_bot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais A4
Has anyone done HID XENON Conversion on their commodore? I have VZ SS headlights and am thinking of doing a conversion.

I don't know much of whats involved in doing a conversion. Any advice would be welcome:thumbsup:

thanks Troy

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
im interested in doing this aswell ay. from what ive researched the number for eg. 5000k is the temperature the light burns at? which determines the colour? 8000k will be more blue then a 5000k which is whiter.

Cant tell if the ones on egay are any good...probably not... but we can all just pretend

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
im interested in doing this aswell ay. from what ive researched the number for eg. 5000k is the temperature the light burns at? which determines the colour? 8000k will be more blue then a 5000k which is whiter.

Cant tell if the ones on egay are any good...probably not... but we can all just pretend

Higher the K the higher the colour temperature. It starts off Yellow and works up to White, Blue, Purple, Violet etc. with variations between the colours. 4000k (white) up to like 10 or 12000k on Ebay.

The higher the K though, the LOWER the lumens (brightness). So the higher in k you go the less bright the light.

Also, there are only 2 german made kits (Phillips and another) and they are the ONLY brands used by ANY OEM car manufacturer.

Ebay brands, well non german brands, have been shown to only last an average of 176 hours for the globe, where as the german brands last around 2500-2700 hours. There is a BIG difference in quality.

ALL cars that have STOCK HID lights run I think 4000K bulbs. Nothing else. I would never go over 6000k.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Don't the Calais / Clubbies etc have the HID lights? Has anyone looked into modifying Calais / Clubby lights and adapting them to SV6 / SS?

tja_bot

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais A4
Thanks for the replys. This is where I was thinking of getting a kit from, what do you think of it??
GadgetMaster

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The two brands 1991_Vn2nV is talking about is Philips and Osram-Sylvania and the highest kelvin rating they produce is 5400k and 5800k. All stock cars that come with HIDs comes with 4100k so personally i wouldn't get any other then that. Anything higher and its more colour then light

intellexual net · m k i v is a good site to learn about HID's

| evaN |

mmm bass
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
The two brands 1991_Vn2nV is talking about is Philips and Osram-Sylvania and the highest kelvin rating they produce is 5400k and 5800k. All stock cars that come with HIDs comes with 4100k so personally i wouldn't get any other then that. Anything higher and its more colour then light

intellexual net · m k i v is a good site to learn about HID's

BANKS

DW I'm a Spray Painter!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ Ute
The higher the K though, the LOWER the lumens (brightness). So the higher in k you go the less bright the light.

So basically the 12000K ones are stupid and should never have been made? whats the point of going that high if you cant see anything?

arnt the calis a basic XENON version? or is xenon the same as HID?

so the honda accord for example... the light that produces is full white, you can tell its not your normal commodore or ford when you see it in the mirror, but at certain angles it looks blue, whats that?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
If you're referring to something like the Honda Odyssey that has blue lights in the headlights as well (LED's I think).

But all OEM kits are 4100k as said and are ~3200 lumens.

The 12000k lights are there to catch the Ebay fools that don't actually know anything about HID's and just look for the highest number possible. They will still be a tad brighter than normal halogens, around 2000lumens (compared to 3200 for 4000k).