Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High compression small cam combo in ecotec bad combo??

TigaVTSS57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
:) coz it makes it better to tow with :)

gotta go now to do some charity work.......helping those less fortunate ....... lotta refugees with hangovers to help today...

Do much towing at 6200??

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
When the car was tuned what afr was the no load and cruise side of the map, i assume they made it safer so it runs rich. Also fuel consumption will increase if the throttle pump section isnt right.

Also mine uses about 22l per hundred and 32l when towing 3800 high comp big cam.

Do much towing at 6200??

Me? no. Not much pulling going on here............anyhoo, back to the charity work.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Why in gods name would u have a street car with a cam designed to make its power up at 6200?

He's compensating for something LOL

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
I'm with Cav??? Wtf?

Don't get me wrong, sounds like fun though!!:D

Fun? It would be a nugget on the street. Unless it had a 6000 stall. But then, you have to ask how much of a smile will a v6 put on ur face.

Fact that you tow with it, makes me laugh even more.

Yxyx64 - need help ...?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
When the car was tuned what afr was the no load and cruise side of the map, i assume they made it safer so it runs rich. Also fuel consumption will increase if the throttle pump section isnt right.

Also mine uses about 22l per hundred and 32l when towing 3800 high comp big cam.

There really is no point in touching any of that stuff. It should be left as per the standard tune @ 14.7:1 same with WOT tuning, should be around 12.8:1 any richer than that is a waste of fuel generally.

With the ecotec, primarily the ignition maps are tuned. No need to touch the closed loop stuff, AE will be tweaked so you don't get a flat spot when you nail it, PE again doesn't really need to be touched. Just need to check the AFR's and adjust the injector offset to get the open loop and WOT fuelling spot on.

A engine with a small cam such as the crow stage 2 with a small bump in compression should not be sucking that much fuel. Even the MACE Comp Cams stage 2 doesn't use that much fuel and it's a bigger cam, more duration, more lift, more RPM, in fact it will make power past 6000rpm using less fuel than mentioned here.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Fun? It would be a nugget on the street. Unless it had a 6000 stall. But then, you have to ask how much of a smile will a v6 put on ur face.

Hi comp, hi stall and some steep diff gears and 6 can put a plenty big enough smile:)

But as said, used for towing and daily with that combo I'm not sure on practicality..

As for the op issue I'm with immortality, it's using too much. Could an oversized fuel system do this for those in the know?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
As for the op issue I'm with immortality, it's using too much. Could an oversized fuel system do this for those in the know?

Not if it's set up properly. EFI uses a bypass system so excess fuel just cycles back to the fuel tank. If everything is in working order then it's a tune related issue most likely.

ajvx01

Reaction score
Members Ride
308 vc
Ok cool, I was wondering if a over the top fuel pump could be pushing a but too much past the injectors.

Cava454

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS, VZ SS
It won't be fuel related. It's all in the tune.