Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Fuel Use After Service

AlanRobert

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve II SV6 - Voodoo
Hi Guys,
I have a 2010 Series 2 SV6. Yesterday it got it's 75k service. Got called during the day asked for $300 worth of work extra to be done which I knocked back, but got them to change the air filter. I filled up my tank last night, and after seeing how much I spent I usually drive a little softer until the sting wears off.

I've only had the car for just over a month, but generally I hit 10.5-11l/100k when I'm driving more sedately, and about 12.3-12.4l/100k towards the end of the week where I give it a little more.

That being said, I filled up last night, drove very sedately, I've got a nice head cold, not in any state to put the foot down. I noticed the fuel usage was at 12l last night, but I brushed it away thinking ive only drive 25km the car is still figuring itself out. But this morning I dropped my car off to fix the tint (another nightmare Ill share later) and the usage peaked at 12.9l, then dropped to 12.7l which is far too high for how I was driving.

Anyone else experienced this? The mechanic said the air filter was quite dirty, although I didnt see it, could it be the car needing to adjust to increased airflow? Although I thought more air would increase efficiency.. I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days, but thought I'd put it out there for some thoughts from you guys.

Thanks heaps

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
12.9L is great, I don't know why your complaining. Whats your average speed? What's the extra things worth $300 that you knocked back?

AlanRobert

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve II SV6 - Voodoo
12.9 is very high for my driving style, average speed is 35-40. The point is that i've noticed a decent bump in my usage. He wanted to machine my front rotors, rotate wheels etc.. but I got a better price elsewhere

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
I'll change the o2 at 75k and see how you go.

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
Once upon a time, rotating the wheels was apart of the service

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
I've got a series 1 Calais 6 and my ave speed is around 40, my ave fuel consumption is around 11, I'd say yours is a bit high

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
Not sure how true this is.. but different grades of engine oil can cause good or bad fuel consumption. (thicker makes engine to work harder (bad) and thiner makes it work less (good).. Thicker protects the engine better)
I did a service(oil / filter, spark plugs/leads, fuel filter (hasnt been touched since 05)) on my brothers car and now uses around 9l/100k instead of 8l/100k it use to..
/shrugs