Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High gain memcal chip "help"

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
G'day i know this isn't exactly a mod as such but what i need help with is a replacement memcal i own a 1998 vt series one, standard v6 and i have brought a high grain memcal to put into this car the only problem is a haven't done this install before let alone on a commodore this is the first holden ive owned since a VB wagon i had so if some one could let me know were the computer is eg behind the left kick pannel like in fords or wherever and give me a walk threw the steps eg id emagine disconect the battery etc. but im not shore that i would get all the steps right by myself so any help would be appreciated im not a motor head as such but i have rebuilt motors (old style) and replaced motors for my sister inlaw and matey mainly for there fords ef and eb so i do pick up on things fairly quick as long as i know witch way to attack the problem
anyway cheers

chargedvx6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SII HBD Calais L67
The ECU is behind the LH passenger kick. Get it off, 2 screws on the ECU cover then you should be looking at the Blue memcal. Depress the tabs and gently remove it.

Are you sure your new memcal will be better? Where is it from? On a stock VT V6 there is no high gain available from just a Memcal. The only real advantage can come from tranny shift points if it's an auto in my experience

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Hello thanks for that, the memcal came from a company in N.S.W. called torque chip and ive asked a lot of questions about the issue you mentioned both with local macanics and on the net also looked up a mob in melbourne to called power chip there site is Powerchip and what i had found out is that car engines are detuned so that they can take any type of fuel and the like the memcal tunes the engine into running the high octane fuel to produce more power but yes they also increase the rev rang that the auto works at the only thing i'll have to do is run optimax fuel i also run L.P.G. but its straight propane and i also have it going in with a sequential multi point gas injection so ive always run the good stuff but thanks for your concern if you can dispute what i have been told i would love to hear it as what i know now is all the info ive found at the moment
cheers matey

Libran

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt commodore
Hello again i dont think i answered your question to well as i know it or i should say told it a standard memcal runs anything a low gain is for 95 octane fuels were they tune it into the fuels being run and the high gain is it being tuned to 98 octane fuels so as to change timing and fuel injection and god nows what else but like i said yes they do increase the rev range of the auto too
cheers