Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High Km VE SS-V 6.0 Buying Advice needed thanks

Dart77

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK wagon, S1 VE wagon SSV8
Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to VE Commodore ownership... The seller seemed honest and upfront which is a rarity in today's day and age...

The sealed for life transmissions are BS and you should just service them every 40,000km if you drive it hard and 60,000km for normal driving... BTW, there is no dipstick on these 6spd automatics...

Otherwise, service it every 7-10,000km and this car should give you years of trouble free motoring, as you VK has...
Thank you - appreciate your posts. Glad you are like-minded about the non-userfriendly transmissions. But apparently they've been around for almost 20 years now. The only reasons I can think that they went that way is 1. The beancounters saw the $20 saving from not putting in a dipstick as a good thing and bugger anything else... 2. Car manufacturers see the majority of buyers of their cars as useless dummies with no interest or skill in working on their own car... 3. They somehow wanted to give the automotive repair sector a lot more work (remember the immobilizer phase-in? Lots of companies made lots of money from that)... Gripe over.

Anyway, very first thing is take it to the diff- trans place I use and get them to assess and service the trans (and diff as well). It's right on a busstop, easy for me, so they can have it for a few days if they want.

Another good thing about this car is that the seller has been using the same mechanic since he bought it, for the last 15 years, who he is now mates with. And who knows that car intimately as well. I said I will continue using him, even though not quite local.

Appreciate all the advice and posts - it really helped round out my thoughts on the car.

blackvxss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SS ute, VZ SS crewman, VYSS, VX SS, VTSS
My understanding is that sagging headliners came factory on Commodores :D
pretty disappointed for a car thats only done 36k and been garaged 99.9% of its life

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
pretty disappointed for a car thats only done 36k and been garaged 99.9% of its life
Agreed... Mine also has low KMs (about 150,000) and it's starting to do the same... It seems cars manufactured here could never get their headliner glue or paint correct, including Toyota and Mitsubishi...