Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High output alternator - is it possible?

Xeath Pk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE

Last edited:

Bigfella237

Reaction score
Members Ride
More cars than I've got space to park!
The trouble is, like most things these days, the factory alternator is controlled by the ECU.

It reports the current load to the ECU via a PWM output and the ECU decides when and how much charge the alternator will output based on engine load, battery voltage and the state of a dozen-odd individual loads around the car.

This also allows the alternator's drain on engine power to be controlled to aid with both fuel economy and acceleration.

I've never bothered to look but maybe these aftermarket alternators are capable of doing that as well, you'd have to verify before buying one?

On the other hand, it's also common to fit a second standalone alternator to power sound systems, but I'm not sure where you'd find the space in a Commodore engine bay?

mfk1816-fitted2-web_1.jpg

Xeath Pk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE

Last edited:

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
the police car alternator was slightly bigger and they also ran a dual battery setup, fixed their high current use no problems,(sitting on the roadside flashing lights computers etc without engine running, this would be your best option)

Xeath Pk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE

Last edited:

henrytad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SS 6.2L
I'm running 3 Rockford fosgate amps, a t800.4 amp and 2 t1500.1 amps, running 8 speakers and 2 T2 subwoofers, the only upgrade I did was a optima yellow top battery, the stock alternator does a perfect job running it all considering how many watts I'm pushing

I had to upgrade my VZs alternator to the police pack to handle the same system

MYVESSV8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 6LT M6
what model do you have, you haven't said! if you can read the part number, contact holden spares and see if it will fit, eg, does your model have an uprated option etc-police pack or whatever, think outside the box for possible answers,
as you have stated previously no one seems to know how the alt/charging system works it has been answered, bcm, regulates excitation to alt depending on load/requirements/battery level so charging is regulated this was done previously by the reg but always at a given rate depending on battery state, they still have diodes etc for conversion, nothing has really changed except monitoring an input regulation