Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High pitch squeal

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
I drive a vt v6 and had this issue come and go every now and then but appears to be a tad more frequent, around 60ks and up the squeal randomly starts and either applying brakes or turning right stops it but it returns straight after. It'll come and go as it pleases, Ive only come up with maybe wheel bearing or **** between a brake pad but I thought I'd check here first, cheers

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
If the squeal is the brakes, it is generally the rear of the pad vibrating against the caliper when applying.. CRC make a rubber paste that you apply to the rear of brake pads when fitting them. I use it routinely on all pad swaps.

You don't need to go overboard like some examples on Google Images, -just apply a blob where the pad and caliper touch. :)
screen-shot-2013-07-29-at-8-39-04-pm.png

dirty hands

Reaction score
Members Ride
magna
I agree to brakes ...and usually the fronts ..

you could check the caliper slides move freely while - you have the pads out

if the brake pedal was pulsing at all ... I would check closer for rotor warp

Keegzzz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt Calais
It sounds like it's coming from the front left. Ill have a squiz at the pads and I'll grab the paste.

I've got rear rotors ready to change as they're pretty worn. In terms of warping I've noticed now and again that when applying brakes it feels like it gets hard then eases as though it's warped I suppose. If that's the issue does it mean the rotor is making contact with something or?

Bowen

Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VX S manual 3.8L SP
It sounds like it's coming from the front left. Ill have a squiz at the pads and I'll grab the paste.

I've got rear rotors ready to change as they're pretty worn. In terms of warping I've noticed now and again that when applying brakes it feels like it gets hard then eases as though it's warped I suppose. If that's the issue does it mean the rotor is making contact with something or?

Means its literally warped as in if you put a straight edge across the rotor you would notice its out of shape all it is is parts of the rotor which apply more friction (due to the warped shape) during rotation usually noticed more at slower speeds with minimal brake force depending on how bad you can machine them but as a rule of thumb I just replace my rotors when warped I can't quite remember the value for minimum thickness but somebody will know!

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
~$30 will machine a pair of rotors at any brake shop. This will resurface the rotors for new pads (a must) and will remove any lateral runout.

Last edited:

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
Yeah, I've found nickel or copper anti-seize good for lubricating the pins.
Make sure the pin's boots are on properly too. Mine weren't originally and the pins were dry and coated with crud. :)