Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

High speed shudder

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
See what happens when you change the wheels over.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
No matter how much you balance the tyres they need to be round to prevent vibration.

You get what you pay for.

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
Ahhhh...more info comes to light.

The shuddering under brakes will be warped rotors. Sometimes this can cause a high speed vibration as well.

yup, cheap nasty rotors that are warped because they are crap! can indeed be unbalanced and cause vibration. you will be surprised at how many brands of rotors are not balanced. I bought Brembo under the IBS brand name and these were clearly balanced as you could see where they had machined out some metal at the edge and the other side rotor had a counter weight clipped in one of the vents.

Great rotors in fact the best I have used :) no cracking, no warping, balanced and I have flogged the absolute **** out of them for well over 60k so far and still nothing wrong with them except a fair bit of metal is gone, but that's just me driving ;)

my last set of rotors did vibrate a little at high speed.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Its possible that its your brake rotors as mentioned, but, that said, my mates VZ had a wheel come off at 80km/h and naturally he hit the brakes and the car landed on the rotor which was locked up and has put a huge flat spot on it. Its taken off about a 1/3 of the rotor on one part but it doesnt vibrate or even shudder under brakes, which is pretty amazing, even more amazing is that he still hasnt fixed it and it still passed a roadworthy lol.

VK SL 3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK SL 5spd
Also could check if your axles are straight too.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Thanks guys, just remember this problem isn't only apparent during braking, lots are jumping to brakes right away, the problem is almost as evident when cruising (even at low speeds such as 60)

I put a set of stockies with toyo tyres on the front, made no difference.....trying the rear tomorrow.

Only things left that haven't been replaced are front and rear lower control arm bushes, the fronts seem ok, a tiny ammount of play when attacked with a crowbar and the rears aren't great but it still feels more front end related......every other bush has been replaced

If the rotors are indeed warped would I notice that when I am driving, the problem is just as apparent with my foot on the accelerator.

Could it be bad front shocks, the rears were replaced with monroe GT's when I lowered the car but the fronts are still original (date stamped 1997), could worn shocks cause these symptoms?

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
regarding warped rotors (i am aorta getting a similar problem but it goes away and comes back when driving)
how can you tell if they are warped?
i did take all weight off the wheel once and was spinning it and every once around it would have tge rotor on pad noise. but not enough to slow it down.
would that be them because they are warped?

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Ok so tested stockies on the front, still the same

tested them on the rear...still the same

Got it back off the ground today.....all front end bushes have been replaced with fresh nolathane bushes which are tight as a drum.....exept the front control arm bushes which look like this
IMG_0303.jpg

They have a little bit of play when attacked with a crow bar.....could this be my issue.

I also had a look at my link pin bushes, do they look to be installed correctly? they don't look like they are sitting properly to me (should there be that gap between them?)
photo-3.jpg

Other than that i'm not sure what it could be other than rotors which is wierd as the problem occurs while driving and not just braking