Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HighBeam no longer working?

warramoos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB
Hi all, we've just tried (unsuccessfully) to install a new great white LED light bar onto our ZB RS sports wagon. Unfortunately the install didnt work, so we disconnected it all and restored the wiring to factory config and the Right side (RS) high beam no longer works. A multimeter suggests there is no longer voltage going to the RS high beam, the bulb is fine. The Left side works fine.

Fuses look good, not sure about the rellays. Could the relay allow one side to work and not the other?

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
check fuse 69 and 70 in the engine bay fusebox, voltage test them on both probe points with highbeam on, you should get +12 on both sides.
check relay 71 in the engine bay fusebox.

it is a dpst relay so if one side works the other side should be working through the relay.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Also consider - if you used a scotch lock to tap into the high beam feed wire it may have actually severed the wire core. I noticed the actual wire inside the insulation is very thin when I stripped the insulation back to solder on the feed wire for my light bar relay. Whick might be part of the reason for dim headlights...

warramoos

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB
check fuse 69 and 70 in the engine bay fusebox, voltage test them on both probe points with highbeam on, you should get +12 on both sides.
check relay 71 in the engine bay fusebox.

it is a dpst relay so if one side works the other side should be working through the relay.
Many Thanks, despite being told the fuses were good, I looked at it myself and number 70 came up a treat - blown fuse. Many thanks. Now we need to figure out why the light bar is shorting the circuit. Thanks for your help.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Now we need to figure out why the light bar is shorting the circuit. Thanks for your help.

Make sure the lightbar is not powered through the highbeam wire.
Run a seperate fused power source from the + battery post under the bonnet for the light bar and use a relay connected to the highbeam wire to switch it off and on.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Agree, only use the high beam as a trigger for the separate circuit and relay to power the bar.