Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hilux vs navara personal opinions

Snoz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vh rally car
I have heard a lot lately that a lot of BT50's have been breaking cam belts at around 100k. Very expensive the fix. I know a few people
that have had Navaras and they have a tiny little clutch even though they are rated to tow 3 tonne. The clutch and dual mass flywheel have needed replacing at as little as 40000km at about $3500 for parts.
There is good and bad in all of them. I have a mate with a td hilux and he loves it. Very ecomomical too. He gets over 750km from 60 litres driving around Sydney.
It depends on what you want to do. I've driven the hilux and liked it but they are expensive, the triton, it was OK but a bit thirsty, has good equipment level. All
of them have tiny little shocks about the diamter of your finger, so if you want go off road you need to replace these straight away.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
spoke to guys at work about this recently.

apparently the 3.0L in the Nissans arent that good.
they said something about things going wrong...
however each car is different.
they said if you do go that way to get a 4.2L engine. ic ant remember exactly why. but they have all had those types of cars. and said that motor was the best.

ive driven a few work Hiluxs (pretty much brand new) and it was nice.
one is the low one which i thought, meh. felt like my VS ute but different shaping.
but the dual cab, turbo diesel one was awesome.
picked up low revs high gear. (eg 5th at 60)
also it has been raised, so it was much higher than when it comes out of the factory =P

Mono987

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sll Caprice/ 2009 SR5 Turbo
Just before I picked up my new beast...I like it better than the HiLux

26997156.jpg

Ed

Reaction score
Website
www.hrt.com.au
Members Ride
TDV8 Landcruiser
mate, either is fine, just find the colour, transmission and anything else you want and run with that. Even if you prefer the hilux don't not get it because its too low, a lift kits cheap.

Just a side note, dads got a 04 hilux, probably a bit under powered yet still a very capable vehicle...the newer donks will be alot better, and we went 4wding not long ago, his hilux and a navara were on the trip, both did everything and didn't get stuck.

Mono987

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 Sll Caprice/ 2009 SR5 Turbo

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
Mate rebuilt a 79 series ex miner, the floor covering was a grand from toyota and the seat belts were 400 a piece. Maintaince isnt the problem . Dont need sex on wheels just need a decent runner. looking to spend about 30 - 35 k

i only say this because im in smash repair and ive fixed a few. seen the quotes and parts lists with prices. all the nissan stuff is ridiculous. dont know about land cruisers but patrols, navaras and pathfinder parts are crazy expensive. guess its up to what you pay for the insurance and how it gets repaired if anything happens. ive seen a patrol plastic door mold go for $300 plus dollars..... a piece of 2c plastic $300.... what ever you do stay away from budget direct, unless you like all second hand or taiwan...

Lumps of cheese

welcome to the machine
Reaction score
Members Ride
83 vh sle, 4x4 hilux, 03 monaro, 07 nightrain
Just before I picked up my new beast...I like it better than the HiLux

26997156.jpg

I don't mind them, but the reason i didn't buy one is because the interior is absolutely shithouse next to the hilux. If i were to buy another one tomorrow, it'd be the amarok without doubt. But my next one will more than likely be a prado.

Krisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
D22 St-r Navara
Cheers for all the input. I had a decent look today and settled on a 2006 navara st-r. Has a couple of scratches but the driveline absolutely smick. Every thing looked like new underneath and in the bay. 3L turbo diesel dual cab, dark blue over silver with 71,000km. Dealer let me take it off road on the test and it handled perfectly through the ruts. Pretty quick on the open road also.