Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HM Headers Help Please

vsdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec (RIP) & VYII 9C1
Hi,

I've just bought the HM header set HM99SS for my VS ecotec, and would love to hear any tips from anyone here that has fitted these before.

Also, on mine I notice that one bank of the headers has 'splits' in the bolt holes, the other bank doesn't (see pic). Can anyone with these tell me if this is how they are meant to be - I'd hate to fit them then realise I have a dud set.

Thanks!!
Img_3483.jpg

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Those splits look factory machined. I'd say they are supposed to be that way, but I couldn't explain why one set is split and the other is not.

I can see no problems fitting them as they are.

vsdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec (RIP) & VYII 9C1
thanks shaggerz. i contacted HM, they are quite helpful actually, apparently their flange supplier has changed the way they make them and some sets have one of each. makes no defference they say, so should be ok.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I would have said different suppliers of flange plates too. No difference at all, the one with splits is the way the plasma cutter cuts them out, it does it in one continuous cut. You will need a welder to weld the flanges on in front of the cat but apart from that they should be a straight forward fit. Just be careful on the drivers side if you have ABS.

Doggie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Wagon
I have them fitted to my VS, but had a loud shrudder noise when I braked. Turned out it was the right header that was rubbing on the steering rack. My mechanic placed some sort of packing under the engine mounts and problem is fixed. Appartently VS's are prone to sagging mounts.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
any v6 commodore up until vy onwards were bad for sagging engine mounts....

vsdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec (RIP) & VYII 9C1
hmmm, maybe sagging engine mounts explains why my cat is hanging low at the moment. i was hoping the HMs with the new Y piece would fix this.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
it only drops it a couple mm...was the sump close to the crossmember??? ive seen some sumps sitting on the crossmember and the driver knows no difference after ive replaced them

vsdore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS exec (RIP) & VYII 9C1
thanks for that info - what sort of gap should there be between sump and crossmember if the mounts are OK? i'll check it out tomorrow...

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
well anywhere between 10mm and about 4 or 5mm before they start getting to the point of needing replacing.