Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Adventra

What do you think of the Adventra?

• OK

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • Good

Votes: 12 15.8%
  • Awesome

Votes: 38 50.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Crap

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Shithouse

Votes: 4 5.3%

• Total voters
D

dumpd6

QUOTE (VSUTE @ Apr 16 2004, 06:20 PM) QUOTE (dumpd6 @ Apr 16 2004, 05:19 PM) why didnt they just thro the gen 3 in a jackaroo.
like the jack8 that holden came up with a few years ago!
it must have been good i didnt even know there was such thing

Snowfox

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore SL
I voted OK. Its a good concept but I'm a fan of real 4wds - which are hard to find these days . At least it will hopefully get more people outdoors, its a great country, shame most people never really see it.

Boeing777

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII Thunder SV6 Ute
As a true wagon lover, I voted awesome! I think the Adventra looks great, I've only been a pax in one but it had some go to it. Only problem I beleive is rather thirsty Gen3 --- averages about 350-400k's from a tank.

The avalanche, well I need to get a towel when I see one of those, they look fantasic, and will beat the hell outa most rice rockets from a set of lights! My current ultimate holden

C

Commodore

The Jack8 was a 2-Door Jackaroo with a roll cage for a roof, a spare tire on the back of the cage, (it's a sloped cage), a Gen III V8 and it was painted Shanghai Red, the crimson colour on the new Commodores. Also, they doubled the ride height. I'll find a link and post it...

Anyway, Holden's sick of the Jackaroo, I personally love the vehicle but it's sales were too poor, it's older than the hills and so outdated that it's funny. Holden putting a V8 in the Jackaroo for mass production (not a one-off concept ala Jack8), wouldn't have been feasible when they'd have to make room in the Elizabeth plant to pull out the V6 or Turbo Diesel engines and then shove the V8 in. The result? A really flash truck, but with not enough width and stability to support the grunt of a V8. You're probably thinking, "But they do that with the Commodores!", not exactly. Because Holden builds the Commodore themselves, they can provide empty shells so they can just shove the Gen III in. Meanwhile, the Jackaroo is imported with engines and all, so they'd have to make the engine transplants.
They can't just build the Jackaroos here, either, because that would waste precious time, money and, more importantly, space in the factory which is running out. Isuzu aren't (at the moment), looking at designing a new Trooper (Jackaroo) so a replacement would be too far away and Holden would make losses importing the old model. IF Isuzu decides to replace the Jackaroo, then Holden might think about it but until then we've just got the shitbox Cruze, awesome Adventra, sporty Cross 8 and workhorse Rodeo in Holden 4WD range. There are rumours Holden may replace the Jackaroo with the Chevrolet Trailblazer and replace the Frontera (whcih has been gone for a year now) with the Chevroley Equinox. But neither are built in RHD. Which means Holden having to do it themselves (a RHD conversion on average costs $15k per car). It would also mean Holden having to do a 180 degree turn-round with the engine block so it'll fit with the steering (eg. that's why we can't get PT Cruisers with the proper 2.4-litre motor). That would cost Holden a shitload of money and put it well up **** Creek without a paddle financially in the process. Sure, Holden DID do that with the Suburban (although I think the block does actually fit with the steering arm on the right), but the Suburban was imported in very low numbers, one of three factors that prevent you from seeing many on the road (the others being that it was way overpriced and too big to sell well). The Suburban only lasted two and a half years and was discontinued in October 2000. That's the reason why the Suburban can't be sold instead of the Adventra. Another reason why the Jackaroo can't be sold instead of the Adventra would be because the Adventra is physically a bigger car. The Adventra is modern, based on a Passenger Car, has plenty of grunt, has V6 models on the way, just specially for the people concerned about fuel consumption. When the all-new VE Adventra, likely to lob about a year after the Commodore because 4WDs take longer to develop (that's why the Adventra is so late), there may even be a Diesel version. IF they do that, I'm buggered if I know where they're gonna get the engines from... unless they either build a second engine line or create a Diesel version of the HFV6. Just one more valid point before I finish typing this book <sorry guys>, is that despite being a V8, the Adventra is lighter and as a matter of fact uses less fuel than the Jackaroo Diesel (about a 2L/100km saving) and is around the same as a V6-powered Jackaroo.

C

Commodore

Solution to the Adventra's ground clearance.

Just saw something that I should have answered before... someone (didn't notice who it was) said that they reckon the Adventra is too low. You can actually get Super-Lift Shock Absorbers as a factory accessory. Don't forget, the possibilities are endless when you consider the fact that there are 4WD shops out there who could literally double the ground clearance of an Adventra. You see so many Nissan Patrols withy at least a metre of Ground Clearance that it's not funny. Bloody ricing :b: :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
N

namzie

we bought one 4 months ago.. and today its still got only 3088km on it. thats 3-0-8-8km.. WHY??? cos its too bloody expensive to drive!! 20-22L/100km.

chris87

Reaction score
Adventra sales are **** at the moment, at just 212 sales in July. Meanwhile, the Ford Territory is selling at around 2000 a month (for July). I strongly urge Holden to build an SUV like the Territory or even import one like a Chevy Trailblazer or Equinox.

Gobbles

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim Series II
namzie said:
we bought one 4 months ago.. and today its still got only 3088km on it. thats 3-0-8-8km.. WHY??? cos its too bloody expensive to drive!! 20-22L/100km.
Are you booting it everywhere....that sounds seriously wrong the Gen3 fuel figures ive read when grannying it should be no more than 15L/100km's

MrBond-007

Reaction score
I got an invite to test drive one out at Oran Park just after their launch. I was quite impressed with the ride and comfort of the vehicle on road.

and I found it to be very capable for what it is, ie a raised wagon not true 4x4, off road on the 4x4 and motor cross track which we took it on.