Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden By Design, yet another thread.

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Grange Gen3, VF Calais V Wagon, VY Calais L67
Hi guys, I just picked up a VY V6 ute, for cheap, needs some love.
When I got it back to my place, I had a better look over it and noticed the 'Holden By Design' plate on it.
The codes are:
AWY, INT, SSU, SBT, SUS, and EXT.

Now I have found the code lists on the net, but can't seem to find SSU or SBT.
Also, does anyone have a pic of the alloy wheels y series (AWY)
Cheers.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Perhaps they stamped it incorrectly, one is probably a spoiler kit. Have a check of what is different on your car to a standard one and it may help

CONROD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS THUNDER 6.0l 6 Sp
Hey mate, I got a few brochures I will try and dig out, its got all the HBD wheels & accessories that were available at the time.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Deleted... I was on the wrong track.
SBT ....does it have a factory hard tonnau lid ?

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
Awesome Conrod.

No hard lid on it, but it does have a big chrome roll bar.
Looks like most things have been removed by a previous owner, so I wouldn't mind trying to get it back to original + a few tasteful mods.
When I first looked at it, the scuff plates were missing, which made me think if they were the stainless ones, whick was confirmed with the 'INT' interior pack 1 stuff.

Last edited:

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
Went into my local Holden dealer, and he thought I was on drugs, so I showed him the pic of the HDB plate, and he says that he has never heard of it, but he is a ford man and has only worked there for 2 years.
He printed out the RPO codes, showing all the factory items.
He says to talk to head office, do live chat with Holden, they cant get the details, ring HSV, HSV closed now, will have to wait till Monday, wouldn't think it would be this hard.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
"Went into my local Holden dealer, and he thought I was on drugs, so I showed him the pic of the HDB plate, and he says that he has never heard of it"

Typical...they know how to sell cars, but they don't anything about the cars they are selling.
My local Holden service department didn't know what a Cross6 was............some sort of Rodeo variant (????)...and we can't put a SS Commodore steering wheel on a Rodeo.
I'm interested in your outcome for curiositys sake.

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
And here is my reply from HSV, I must know what these other 2 codes are, perhaps they are a mis-stamp, but they are definitely there.

AWY – Alloy Wheel ‘Y’Series

INT – Interior Pack 1. ( Alloy foot pedals set, leather auto knob & handbrake, Satin Crome door handles, stainless sill plate kit, leather steering wheel sports )

SSU – No record

SBT No record

SUS FE2 Suspension

EXT – Chrome exhaust extensions

alby1976

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well, yesterday I got a return call from Holden, they couldn't tell me anything except that Holden By Design was on off shoot of HSV but doesn't exist anymore, but told me where the car was originally sold, so I rang them.
The guy I spoke to in service didn't know, but agreed that the 2 codes may be ute specific, and told me that he would have to get the foreman to give me a call, didn't get the call.
When speaking to the Holden guy, he said I might have to ask around on the net, as surely someone has some knowledge of the elusive codes.

JMP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Berlina
Would have thought if you gave them the HBD number on the plate they would be able to bring up what was actually installed on your car, that would be logical though.