Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Good to hear, B66. Even though I'm on the record espousing the eschewing of modifications on the limited edition, best-ever Holdens, I must say I am tempted to do similar to yourself. I think the W407 pack is great - I know I have said that the "407" bit is somewhat fanciful - I still love the actual result regardless of the true number. And the more I think of it, I ain't gonna be selling my MSE (hopefully), so the investment value is essentially zero. Therefore, why not hot rod it a little?
I drove a W407 a while back and loved it, I think the cam is about right for a daily driver/interstate cruiser. Some may disagree. I may even research more fully the Harrop cams and the Comp cams. I know the W407 is a little pricey, but the over all result with the fascia/OTR etc is pretty good, and for anyone non-mechanical it is a safe and effective solution.
Tell me, if you haven't already done so, describe what happens from a standing start if you just floor it - does it light 'em up, or is the modest low end torque insufficient to stress the 275s out back? And describe what happens when you drop it back at 100km/h, flat to the floor, passing a truck say. Thanks in anticipation....when I drove the W407 I wasn't thinking about similar going in my MSE.
Hey Professor, not enough poke in your MSE for you? Might be worthwhile having a read of this if considering cam upgrades;
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1007-gms-variable-valve-timing-system-performance-test/
ignore the reference to an engine being an air pump, its a too commonly used over simplification of an ICE

Last edited:

ProfMopar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Auto
Hey Professor, not enough poke in your MSE for you? Might be worthwhile having a read of this if considering cam upgrades;
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1007-gms-variable-valve-timing-system-performance-test/
ignore the reference to an engine being an air pump, its a too commonly used over simplification of an ICE
Thanks Martin, I know that article. Next to the Journal of Physics A: Mathematical and Theoretical, Hot Rod magazine is my favourite. Although, I do have a soft spot for Musclecar Review, and Mopar Action with Richard Ehrenberg is reliably informative. For VF2 Commodores, I come here!
I trust your Nitrate MSE is providing much joy....I bet it's fun to wash. Old 426Cuda man probably needs grade 5 welding goggles to wash his in the sunlight. I saw a Spitfire MSE in Adelaide the other week, licence plate KOM...whoever you are, the car looks great. My Nitrate MSE is due around Oct 15, I'll be sure to pick it up directly from the dealer (assuming the Holden transporter from Elizabeth to the Adel south doesn't roll over!). Then, after the run in and familiarisation phase, I may just throw in a stick, exhaust, cold air, and fiddle with the timing/FA ratio.....after 30+ years of being unable to leave anything I own stock, I can't see myself stopping now.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I'd be interested to hear the outcome of that Super Coach, sounds a bit like a sticky clutch plate. You could try a couple of 3rd gear starts with a few revs to see if that makes any difference. Does the notchy initial 1st/reverse gear selection ease up after a minute or two of driving and can you remember whether the Reline's transmission was the same when it was new?

Well I went to pick up my car and I couldn't see it parked anywhere. Thought great,they told me it would be ready by 5pm and must be still in the workshop. To my surprise and shock, my new car sales guy took my car, got it hand washed, blackened out the tyres and parked my car in the PD garage so it wouldnt get dirty/damaged as it looked like it was about to rain. I was blown away by the service, was not expecting that at all.

After speaking to the Holden tech and showing him my video of the vibration/rattle noise I took him for a drive in my car afterwards to see if I could replicate the vibration/rattle when clutching and I couldn't. Even though he said they couldn't replicate the noise and they spent about 1hr 1/2 under the car making sure everything was tight and pushed out some heat shields to make the clearance greater. I drove the car to a few mates places on the way home and all was ok, until I went to pull into my driveway at home and heard the noise again, but this time was muffled and didn't sound as loud. So I will monitor the noise and see how it goes, if it gets louder or more consistent I will raise the issue again. But if everything is tight underneath it can only lead to something inside the gearbox/clutch not being right. He said some noise/vibration was acceptable but I explained that my MY16 Redline didnt make any noise, but he was under the impression the MY17 Motorsport had a different clutch/set up to the Redline. This I couldn't confirm. I would need to know all parts and setups are the same in both cars.

In regards to the mirror they took off the mirror scalp, clean and refitted it and it still whistled, so they pulled off the whole door trim and the whole mirror assembly removed, cleaned and reassembled, making sure everything fitted properly and placed some insulation tape inside the mirror scalp, but unfortunately the mirror still whistled on the way home. So will have to raise the issue again and get it fixed ASAP if they have to replace any parts, before I get opticoat/PPF applied. I did get shown a post on the Chevy SS forums about whistling mirrors, but I think his fix/problem was slightly different to mine. All I can think of is the puddle lamp that the wind is catching, but then Calais has had that for ages and Im not sure if any owners have had wind whistle issues.

ProfMopar

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SV8 Auto
Well I went to pick up my car and I couldn't see it parked anywhere. Thought great,they told me it would be ready by 5pm and must be still in the workshop. To my surprise and shock, my new car sales guy took my car, got it hand washed, blackened out the tyres and parked my car in the PD garage so it wouldnt get dirty/damaged as it looked like it was about to rain. I was blown away by the service, was not expecting that at all.

After speaking to the Holden tech and showing him my video of the vibration/rattle noise I took him for a drive in my car afterwards to see if I could replicate the vibration/rattle when clutching and I couldn't. Even though he said they couldn't replicate the noise and they spent about 1hr 1/2 under the car making sure everything was tight and pushed out some heat shields to make the clearance greater. I drove the car to a few mates places on the way home and all was ok, until I went to pull into my driveway at home and heard the noise again, but this time was muffled and didn't sound as loud. So I will monitor the noise and see how it goes, if it gets louder or more consistent I will raise the issue again. But if everything is tight underneath it can only lead to something inside the gearbox/clutch not being right. He said some noise/vibration was acceptable but I explained that my MY16 Redline didnt make any noise, but he was under the impression the MY17 Motorsport had a different clutch/set up to the Redline. This I couldn't confirm. I would need to know all parts and setups are the same in both cars.

In regards to the mirror they took off the mirror scalp, clean and refitted it and it still whistled, so they pulled off the whole door trim and the whole mirror assembly removed, cleaned and reassembled, making sure everything fitted properly and placed some insulation tape inside the mirror scalp, but unfortunately the mirror still whistled on the way home. So will have to raise the issue again and get it fixed ASAP if they have to replace any parts, before I get opticoat/PPF applied. I did get shown a post on the Chevy SS forums about whistling mirrors, but I think his fix/problem was slightly different to mine. All I can think of is the puddle lamp that the wind is catching, but then Calais has had that for ages and Im not sure if any owners have had wind whistle issues.
Hello Super Coach,
With regard to whistling anything, you can borrow an old trick from the aerodynamicists: procure yourself some good quality masking tape (the type that doesn't leave adhesive residue) and place it over various positions around the mirror and mirror base. With some trial and error you should be able to eliminate the whistle and thereby identify the source region. Of course, identifying the source and fixing the problem are two different things. Typically whistles will emanate from points where there exist abrupt air velocity changes such as edges, gaps, holes etc. You may be able to correct such a source by placing something like Bluetac inside the gap/hole out of sight. Worst case scenario may be solved by actually creating a second hole or gap, but you may want to perform that experiment on a wrecker-sourced part (if available).
If I encounter the same problem on my MSE - due mid-October - I'll be sure to publish my findings here.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
Hello Super Coach,
With regard to whistling anything, you can borrow an old trick from the aerodynamicists: procure yourself some good quality masking tape (the type that doesn't leave adhesive residue) and place it over various positions around the mirror and mirror base. With some trial and error you should be able to eliminate the whistle and thereby identify the source region. Of course, identifying the source and fixing the problem are two different things. Typically whistles will emanate from points where there exist abrupt air velocity changes such as edges, gaps, holes etc. You may be able to correct such a source by placing something like Bluetac inside the gap/hole out of sight. Worst case scenario may be solved by actually creating a second hole or gap, but you may want to perform that experiment on a wrecker-sourced part (if available).
If I encounter the same problem on my MSE - due mid-October - I'll be sure to publish my findings here.

Hey thanks for that idea, didnt think of it. The whistle only occurs when the mirror is in its position. When I fold it in, the whistle goes, so perhaps it is not the base but the mirror housing itself, but then again wind does have funny properties and goe in all directions, so I hope its not a window seal or anything like that. On my facebook page "Holden Motorsport Edition Owners" I have posted videos and updates about it all. Are you a Member?

Martin Norris

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7

Hi Super Coach, thanks for the follow up. Interesting you mention your car only shudders when entering your property which leeds me to ask the question, is your driveway on a grade. The only time my car shudders is when I'm going up my driveway which on a reasonable uphill grade. Going up slowly in 1st as you push the clutch to stop the torque is quickly released from the driveline causing a slight shudder, I consider this as normal operation. There is nothing you can do about it unless you accelerate up the driveway then backoff as you apply the clutch and use the cars momentum. If your driveway is on a grade so the driveline is torqued up when you stop this may be the cause.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Certainly did!
224Magnum.jpg