Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore Limited Edition models

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Anyone know how many limited editions are in sold? Heaps of me around but surprised I've seen 5 directors and 1 Magnum still advertised

dragonsroos

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport
The "secret" to running in engines is to load them progressively without getting them hot. In practice, this means half to three quarter throttle accelerations in middle gears (3rd, 4th) up to 3000-3500rpm over the first few hours (about 300km). Ideally, this is done over multiple shorter trips (10-50km) with complete cool down between drives. From 300km to 1000km, keep these up, and add some full throttle blasts up to 4000rpm, and you can start longer load runs in 5th gear. From 1000km to 1500-2000km, wide open throttle in 3rd, 4th, 5th, to 5000rpm is your limit. After that, you're done.
Note: Experience suggests the loading is even better with a bit of weight on board (4 blokes, for instance). And remember, avoiding the engine becoming hot is paramount.....keep the trips short, avoid days over 30C and prolonged traffic stops if possible.
Regarding actual road speed, this is all about the rear axle, and, to a lesser extent, the transmission. Holden's 0-1000km 110 limit is an arbitrary (for obvious reasons) suggestion to avoid rear axle overheating. As a builder of several diffs, I can state that they do get hotter more easily when new. Ideally, we run 'em in initially with no load for 20 mins at 50km/h wheel speed (jacked up, wheels spinning freely). Then a complete cool down, lube top-up, and run it in similarly to the engine procedure above. Obviously, new Holdens are delivered with several km on the clock, so this initial run in has already been done in one way or another. I agree with Holden's advice up to 1000km, although once you've done 2000km, I think you can perform brief excursions above 200km/h without risking overheating.
Concluding: the salient points are that loading is good (although labouring in gears too tall is not), and overheating is the biggest problem. Holden know that if their recommendations are followed, powertrain overheating is unlikely.
Regarding long term oil consumption, the run-in procedure affects this little: if an engine is gonna burn too much oil (due to large ring clearances or valve stem clearances) ain't nothin' gonna change that short of running 80W-140 motor oil (no good!). With a well built engine with the correct clearances everywhere, you'd be hard-pressed to make it an oil-burner no matter how much you thrashed it. Of course, you would have a hand in reducing its service life.
I was told by Dad to vary the speed to run a car in and take it easy for the first 1k. Worked well on my LX Torana it was still running around after I sold it until the clowns rolled it.
Have a good time, running in is fun with all that partial, then full throttle midrange accelerations. Bring your mates along, but keep road speeds reasonable. Stop first for a good long lunch, then afternoon coffee; the car will benefit from the cool down. Once you've hit 2000-3000km, you can race it if you like. Once you've hit 8000-10,000km, the engine will be at its sweetspot - maximum power/efficiency with little wear....a good time to fit your Walkinshaw "407" stuff!

Arron Meehan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Director
i found a white, silver and black directors in perth a few weeks back, took home the black, they had motorsports lined up for sale too, thought they would be well and truely gone, or the rumours of being all sold may have rushed potential buyers into redlines in fear of missing out all together

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
anyone know of any Red Hot Motorsports still for sale at dealers? I know Newcastle City and City Holden Adelaide do, but looking for a better price, rather than getting ripped off.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6

gla

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport Edition, VT 195i Calais

Alchemistry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais V, VF Calais V, VF II Director
I have a Silver Director, picked up mid October. Now has just over 2000 Km. Does anyone have trouble with creaks/squeaks in the dash. This has come in in the last approx. 800 Km and makes it sound like an old car. Any slight body movement brings it on and it appears to come from multiple sources and is very annoying. My previous VF Calais V did have same effect, but nowhere near as bad as the Director. Does anyone else have this trouble and are there cures/fixes?

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I have a Silver Director, picked up mid October. Now has just over 2000 Km. Does anyone have trouble with creaks/squeaks in the dash. This has come in in the last approx. 800 Km and makes it sound like an old car. Any slight body movement brings it on and it appears to come from multiple sources and is very annoying. My previous VF Calais V did have same effect, but nowhere near as bad as the Director. Does anyone else have this trouble and are there cures/fixes?

Have a read of the windscreen rattle/squeak forum.