Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Commodore still number one in Full Sized Family

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Holden sales are up 8.2 per cent to 44,441 in June, making Holden the fastest growing of the top 10 brands in Australia this year.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Wow, Commodore is killing it - such good figures.

Look at Camry languishing with a 6,000 vehicle lag.

top ten is where you look, everyone else are not even worth looking at.

Mazda 3 - 22,524
Toyota Corolla - 22,166
Toyota HiLux - 19,160
Holden Commodore - 16,355
Hyundai i30 - 15,692
Ford Ranger - 13,443
Mitsubishi Triton - 11,838
Mazda CX-5 - 11,006
Volkswagen Golf (including Cabriolet) - 10,736
Toyota Camry - 10,118

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Yeah, the Commie is doing well this year compared to recent times, but it's still being outsold by a truck!

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Yeah, the Commie is doing well this year compared to recent times, but it's still being outsold by a truck!

FBT rules make the BOF dual cab "trucks" super attractive to business compared to your traditional sedan/wagon vehicles.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6

The Hi-lux is NZ best selling vehicle , they are actually quite good , but yes it's still a ute wearing stiletto heels .

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
FBT rules make the BOF dual cab "trucks" super attractive to business compared to your traditional sedan/wagon vehicles.

I realise there are taxation and practicality benefits behind this class of vehicle, but all recent road reports indicate that the Hilux is getting a bit old and is now well off the pace so far as that class of vehicle is concerned. The Ford Ranger is reported to be by far a better vehicle.

Just goes to show how reputation will keep bringing buyers in, even if your product isn't "best in class", doesn't it?

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004

Yep. Doctors, lawyers, accountants, politicians....you name it.
Tax laws. I think the determining factor is it has to carry at least a ton. The commodore and falcon utes don't qualify.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
Tax laws. I think the determining factor is it has to carry at least a ton. The commodore and falcon utes don't qualify.

bring back the tonner then :D

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
Change the tax laws to make them comply I reckon. Would make it better for Aussie manufacturers.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I realise there are taxation and practicality benefits behind this class of vehicle, but all recent road reports indicate that the Hilux is getting a bit old and is now well off the pace so far as that class of vehicle is concerned. The Ford Ranger is reported to be by far a better vehicle.

Just goes to show how reputation will keep bringing buyers in, even if your product isn't "best in class", doesn't it?

Yeah.... I'm in the market for that exact type of vehicle right now and tbh Hilux has been old for years now and Toyota have been quite lazy in the replacement. That said, the most recent promo's have equipped them very well compared to their peers.

Which is best in class?? To a large degree that really depends what you want to do with it. No doubt the Ranger/BT50 are leaders, especially if you want to tow but for me the Amarok would be hard to pass if it were entirely my decision. The Navara seems to get a kicking but having driven one, I am not sure why. Not a fan of the Triton and there is a new one due any time now. Hopefully that is a big improve over the last generation.

As for the broader Australian company fleets - the cost of packaging up a vehicle thru ones' job is just huge these days and even your humble sales rep seems to be rocking up in the above mentioned utes as a matter of course. 5 years ago it just didn't happen.

Now the lefties amongst us will all cheer as what's not available (re salary packaging) for all should be denied to the some. Sadly it has also contributed greatly to the local manufacturing decline and overall costs the government money as fewwer people will buy new cars or significantly downgrade their spend.

I know it's old ground but for me, one thing that govco should have done when they decided to wind back FBT concessions was to either make local product exempt or significantly more attractive. Cost to government would be nothing (the move to FBT free vehicles is happening anyway) and it would have been a massive boost for local production. Typical win/win but sadly not to be.

The ton thing has changed some time ago for utes. In most cases a Commodore/Falcon ute will be FBT exempt. Dual cabs is where things get interesting. Essentially the payload has to be greater than the passenger's weight (68kgs per person inc driver) for vehicles under 8 people load carrying capacity.

https://www.ato.gov.au/General/Frin...t-motor-vehicles/?page=2#Eligibility_criteria
MT 2024 - Fringe benefits tax : dual cab vehicles eligibility for exemption where private use is limited to certain work-related travel (As at 22 October 2008)