Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

holden employees in 2.5 m stolen parts racket

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
How is it trolling? Theyre having a discussion about morals.

Stop back seat moderating, you aren't any good at it.

Seem to be better at it then some moderators but anyway. All I read out of this thread is a bunch of people going yeah who cares and then it descended into chaos with people throwing insults back and forth. But hey if that's what the pub is for the no worries.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
True that Drawnnite. Imagine they stolen defected items. Talk about karma

just think of the consequences.
buy a set of pistons or conrods from said defective parts.
build up a great motor and all the sudden they snap busting the whole engine.

would feel sorry for the bloke if he had no idea they were stolen.

i mean you just have to look at it. they never said items couldnt have been parted out.
obviously if said thieves were "smart" they could potentially have scrapped the blocks and used all internals, selling them off.
selling them off for say $50 less then the normal going rate, using the idea of "i bought them but ended up not using" etc
then said example above happens.
would be a nasty consequence

all i can say is.
the heist seems to have been a well thought out one, or something sceptical is up

do sorta hope they catch the thieves. but am highly doubtful such would occur

I8.A4.RE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY LS1 - LANCER MY10 - VE UTE
Apparently there was "no effective tracking system" of engines and transmissions at the plant and therefore very little way to check where incoming inventory ended up. Parts were checked in, but there was apparently no way to know what happened to them after that.

And that statement right there narrows it down and offers a clue as to who are involved..

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
just think of the consequences.
buy a set of pistons or conrods from said defective parts.
build up a great motor and all the sudden they snap busting the whole engine.

would feel sorry for the bloke if he had no idea they were stolen.

i mean you just have to look at it. they never said items couldnt have been parted out.
obviously if said thieves were "smart" they could potentially have scrapped the blocks and used all internals, selling them off.
selling them off for say $50 less then the normal going rate, using the idea of "i bought them but ended up not using" etc
then said example above happens.
would be a nasty consequence

all i can say is.
the heist seems to have been a well thought out one, or something sceptical is up

do sorta hope they catch the thieves. but am highly doubtful such would occur

Didn't this thing come to light because a stolen engine was detected being used in a car? There had to be some way the police were able to back-track to identify the original source of the engine, even though it had never been fitted to a legally registered vehicle. That tells me that they are stamped with engine numbers in the factory and I would imagine the numbers would have been stamped in the US before export, not out here after receipt at Holden's factory. It also tends to reinforce the view that the engines are not "seconds" but are fully functional and ready to run.

It's not difficult to imagine ways of getting complete engines out of a factory when poor invoicing and stock controls exist. I agree that insiders have to be involved. For example, company "A" delivers 10 engines to the plant from the wharves, but only nine are offloaded. Holden employee signs for all ten. No checks involved to ensure that ten are actually offloaded. Truck drives away, with one complete engine still on board. Truck is checked coming in, but not going out, which I think is what has been stated. Do that once a week for a few months and you build up a nice little earner for yourself.

In this scenario, you only need a couple of inside staff to co-operate and you have a simple method of stealing engines or other large and valuable components. I don't imagine the police will have too much difficulty identifying the people responsible because of the processes which are in place at the factory. There will be certain people responsible for certain duties and they will be the starting point of the investigation.

St3alth187

More time than money
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 3.8L Manual
This whole topic on the morality of stealing / receiving stolen goods, regardless of the financial situation of said victim/thief is cloudy.
The line between ignorantly innocent and blatantly guilty is lost.

Who can judge that stealing 5 cents off a junkie is any worse than stealing 5 cents off a multi billion dollar corporation?

When I was taught Business ethics during my course .. I was constantly asking myself .. What is ethics ?
Well in business terms .. It's a liability bought on by modern social culture.

Truth is .. If every business in the world was honest and dealt ethically, there would be far less businesses in the world.
The economy would be nothing like it is now. ( not great as it is )
We get robbed every time we fill our cars with fuel.. Every time we go to the supermarket .. Every time we have a shower. Tax is the greatest robbery in the history of human life.
But everyone is okay with it because it is " necessary ".

I bet you don't think about the children that get robbed every day when you buy a Billabong shirt. 10c a day for labour.

I will openly admit I would buy a stolen engine for 1.5k instead of 10k, even if it is stolen.
The way I justify it in my mind, If I get caught .. I lose 1.5k. If I buy it at 10k I lose 8.5k more.
Doesn't make it right .. But it certainly isn't wrong in the scheme of things.
Human beings are flawed. Each and everyone of us. Anyone that says otherwise has lived in a shell their whole life.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
The key factor that allowed the thieves to go undetected popped up pretty soon after the first stolen engine was found by police. Sources say factory officials had no idea employees were taking the hardware and were unaware of the scale until notified by police. Apparently there was "no effective tracking system" of engines and transmissions at the plant and therefore very little way to check where incoming inventory ended up. Parts were checked in, but there was apparently no way to know what happened to them after that.

Source: Holden looted by plant workers, $2.5M in parts stolen

Entirely depends on the time frame involved. I would expect the thefts would be identified during routine stocktakes that all businesses have from time to time.

Reaper

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I will openly admit I would buy a stolen engine for 1.5k instead of 10k, even if it is stolen.
The way I justify it in my mind, If I get caught .. I lose 1.5k. If I buy it at 10k I lose 8.5k more.

There's bit more to it than just "doing your dough".

You inherit a criminal record - not the sort of thing most honest people would be proud of. You stand to be incarcerated. Not the most pleasant experience, from what I gather. You have to live down the shame after release from gaol. You may be released on parole and have to report regularly to the local police station. You lose the trust of friends and family. All in all, a pretty big price to pay in my opinion.

Saving a few thou on an engine or other parts just doesn't measure up unless you are naturally dishonest or stupid and the consequences either don't occur to you or don't matter.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
You have to live down the shame after release from gaol. You may be released on parole and have to report regularly to the local police station. .

Then there is the small matter of employment. More and more employers and agencies are requesting Police Clearances. Finding work as an ex con is not easy as your record follows you. Recently here in SA a story was in the papers of an elderly man who wanted to do volunteer work at an Aged Care Facility but was refused as he had an offence on his record from when he was a lad.

DAKSTER

Beam me up Scotty!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
This whole topic on the morality of stealing / receiving stolen goods, regardless of the financial situation of said victim/thief is cloudy.
The line between ignorantly innocent and blatantly guilty is lost.

Who can judge that stealing 5 cents off a junkie is any worse than stealing 5 cents off a multi billion dollar corporation?

You steal, you steal. You receive stolen goods, you receive stolen goods. I dont see any clouds or lines.

When I was taught Business ethics during my course .. I was constantly asking myself .. What is ethics ?
Well in business terms .. It's a liability bought on by modern social culture.

Truth is .. If every business in the world was honest and dealt ethically, there would be far less businesses in the world.
The economy would be nothing like it is now. ( not great as it is )

There would be far less dishonest businesses in the world. I see that as a positive, sorry. I fail to see how dishonesty causes the economy to be great.

We get robbed every time we fill our cars with fuel.. Every time we go to the supermarket .. Every time we have a shower. Tax is the greatest robbery in the history of human life.
But everyone is okay with it because it is " necessary ".
Tax is only necessary if you want schools, roads, hospitals, or any other kind of government service.

I bet you don't think about the children that get robbed every day when you buy a Billabong shirt. 10c a day for labour.

You'd lose. I have no control over child labour or wages, but I do have control over what I buy. If no-one bought stuff that was manufactured by these people, it wouldnt happen.

Doesn't make it right .. But it certainly isn't wrong in the scheme of things.
Human beings are flawed. Each and everyone of us. Anyone that says otherwise has lived in a shell their whole life.

Although I did jokingly say earlier that I would buy one if I thought I could get away with it, that was somewhat tongue in cheek. For a start, I would never be confident of getting away with it, and even if I could, I wouldnt.

This is for the same reason as I wouldnt buy a Billabong shirt. If there was no market for hot engines, no-one would bother stealing them. If someone offered me a new LS3 crate motor for 1500 bucks, I would know absolutely that it was stolen and I wouldnt be interested. If it was 5 grand, I would want an explanation and a sighting of the receipt that proves it isnt hot.

How would you feel if someone stole your car, and one of your mates got to buy your mags at a bargain price, knowing full well they had been stolen from you? If nobody buys, then there would be no point in stealing it (excluding retarded joyriders of course..).

Knowing or even suspecting that something is stolen, if you buy it, you are encouraging more of the same. Yes, its a pipe dream, not everyone is honest and there will always be a market for stolen goods. I dont choose to be a part of that market, and I dont subscribe to the 'if I didnt buy it someone else would have' attitude. Let someone else be the thief, not me. If you buy suspected stolen property, you are as guilty as the thieves.

Wogboy1994

Rough
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SSZ
Knowing or even suspecting that something is stolen, if you buy it, you are encouraging more of the same. Yes, its a pipe dream, not everyone is honest and there will always be a market for stolen goods. I dont choose to be a part of that market, and I dont subscribe to the 'if I didnt buy it someone else would have' attitude. Let someone else be the thief, not me. If you buy suspected stolen property, you are as guilty as the thieves.

Question. If you buy something from a wreckers yard for your car then a month or so later found out that it was stolen and no one else new what are you going to do?

will you take it out of your car and give it to the victim or keep it so your consciounce (spelling) can rot away knowing you have a stolen part?

OT: I think the younger generation (my generation) know that since todays society is so PC and every time some kid gets smacked on the ass every1 busts a nut . They know this and they know they wont get nothing more thne a slap on the wrist.

done.