Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden running out of parts already

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
decided to get a new factory tonneau cover to put away for a my17 redline ute which has the sports bars , i purchased the car new, only to be told by holden that only 5 were left oz wide, also for Colorado ute owners factory towbars , were sold out.
i thought manufactures were meant to supply parts for at least 10 years.
we have quite a few years left, maybe its time to stock up on high wear parts?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
GM has left the building, so they can say they will do this and that, but in reality.......

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
I feel for HSV. GM have pretty much stink palmed their name here in Australia for decades to come.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Some of us are stocking up on old parts whether new or SH. Obviously new parts are few and far between for my old 94 ute but I have started buying a few new parts that wear out after a long time and where the aftermarket quality doesn't compare. Certain parts will be needed t o keep our buses on the road and some of these need to be Gen. So it is worthwhile having a think about what might be needed in another 5 - 15 years time and have a stash. Even if the car gets sold these commonly needed parts will most likely be fetching higher than current prices when GM stocks run out. Its already happening now on old stock so I'd say VF will be the same over time.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
I wouldn't class a tonneau cover as a high wear part.....To me, it's more a convenience part...

Stocking up on high wear parts....Seriously....Holden might be out the door, but high wear parts will be available until we are all dead....Geez, the aftermarket is supplying parts for cars built in the 30's and some of those companies don't exist anymore.....

So don't panic....

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Quite a few aftermarket parts are not the quality of Gen stock and therefore will be in demand in years to come. Tonneau covers do wear out over time, they fade, and go hard, even with treatment. Aftermarket tonneau covers are no where near as good as factory original. I'd buy one myself and keep it stashed.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Quite a few aftermarket parts are not the quality of Gen stock and therefore will be in demand in years to come. Tonneau covers do wear out over time, they fade, and go hard, even with treatment. Aftermarket tonneau covers are no where near as good as factory original. I'd buy one myself and keep it stashed.

Agree aftermarket may not be as good as genuine and yes tonneau covers wear out over time, but these scenarios have been around since the wheel was invented.....

The fact that Holden have shut up shop doesn't really alter supply of parts, nor does it change that genuine parts have been better than aftermarket....

Personally I see the original post as the typical unjustified worry wart reaction that has been going around since Holden announced the closure of their factory....

You have to ask yourself the question...Why weren't there these types of posts, when a model became supersceeded, even after a body styling/engine type change occurred? ie like from the VK to VL 6 cyl engine changeover..Or even the VL to VN engine/body change over....or even the VR to VS engine change over

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Maybe reality has really sunk in now. Personally like I said I am buying parts as I can afford them. Sensors are but one thing that need to be Gen as nothing aftermarket is any good. The old Delphi is factory OEM ended some years ago with VP to VX series. Delphi is Chinese now and it's all junk. ACDelco parts for Holden will dry up now Holden no longer exist. GM won't care about the few million Dores on the Rd. A few million is not enough for them to keep supplies for the dwindling number of Commodore around the world.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm not suggesting it's time to panic. However, I am suggesting it's time to think about what we need to have in our sheds in the way of Gen parts if we want to keep our 20 plus year old cars on the road. Its either that or drive them until they start to fall apart, slap some Indian or Chinese junk part on and hope it lasts, which most often it doesn't. So your back at the mechanics getting the same part replaced, because you have to fit junk parts. Or you keep a small stash of parts that the aftermarket supply chain can't compare with and get a lot more years out of the old utes.....
That's my opinion anyway and is what I am experiencing with my old ute any way.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Geez, the aftermarket is supplying parts for cars built in the 30's and some of those companies don't exist anymore.....
My god I don't want anyone walking into my shop and asking that!:eek: Earliest I've had to try and find parts for is something from the 40's. Try - not found - try. Even the 80 year old in our hard to find department gives up with things that old. I agree aftermarket isn't the answer to everything though. Body, interior and electrical things that humans use (mirror/window switches etc) either theres nothing or the quality is crap.