Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden S SERIES 2 04 vy front lights never turn on / right side broken

james69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore s series 2
Hi, i just recently bought a holden commodore s series 2 vy 2004, and i don't know everything about commodores.

With the two front lights, they are always turned on, once the engine is started, but are low lights. The previous owner said they were parking lights, and its a special feature all vy's have that the front lights are turned on all the time.

I recently got it serviced and they didn't say anything was wrong with the lights.

Also the right front light seems to not be working, the one which is on all the time once engine is started. When i put the lights for night / high beam it works, just doesn't turn on when the engine is started. I was wondering how much this would cost to repair?

And if their is anyway to turn those lights off once the engine is started, as its pretty much useless for me in the day time.

Thanks.

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
sounds like either it has a dash mat which is over the sensor which turns the auto lights off and they wont, or in the case of a neighbour he bought a ex govt car which had the lights modified to be on all the time, the one that doesnt work just sounds like the parking bulb is blown as the low and high beam is a different bulb (about $5). If no dash mat then it may be an ex gov car, otherwise take off the dash mat in the day time and see if the lights turn off. Or can they just plainly not be turned off even when the switch is off?

james69er

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore s series 2
yeah they cant be plainly be turned off even when the switch is off.

and adds_05 yes the previous owner said they are the park lights, is that normal to have on 24/7 and are they cheap to replace?

thanks

H Bomb

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Calais
if they are the park lights they should be real simple and cheap to replace, and I reckon if you take the car to a good auto elec they should be able to sort out the constant wired lights for you, my neighbour got his done for only about $50.