Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Sunbird power ups...

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Okay then, whatever the reasons. A mint sunbird would possibly cost $2-3000, and that'll leave you at least $1000 for the engine mods........still cant help you as I cant see the basics such as porting/polishing extractors getting you more than a couple of kW. They already have a very good (forgotten the name, its not a strombery) carby fitted(the starfire)(much better than the 6) and changing it would be unlikely to achieve anything either

Ya mean the stromberg(spelling) mate ? they were on the 6 cylinder aswell mate hate to tell ya.

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
My mum (the one giving me the money) lives smack-bang in the centre of paris and therefore can't possibly see why anyone would need anything more than a 4-cyl, let alone a P-Plater. I can't really get a barina though... I've spent a lot of time paying out chicks in barinas so if i got one I really would have to hit myself. And laugh at my own car.

So will ya mum ever see the car ? just put a six in it its not hard to do just change the cross member to a 6 cylinder one not sure on the diff think they had the banjo in them and off ya go (I had a uc sunbird with a 179 in it and its the best car ive ever had)

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
omg what a hopeless cause. Looking at a mint sunbird for 2 grand so I've certainly got some room for improvement but if there's not much improvement to be had it won't be worth it. I don't like my alternative though... probably something riced and turbo-ed.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Ya mean the stromberg(spelling) mate ? they were on the 6 cylinder aswell mate hate to tell ya.

Yes, stromberg(typo). Hate to tell ya, but you cant read. I said its not the Stromberg, which is what every basic six cylinder holden had up to that time. Its just come to me(the name), the starfire got the twin barrel rochester varajet, quite a sophisticated unit. Also afaik the cross member for the starfire is exactly the same as for the 6cyl, just the opel was different. They all had salisburys differentials, the 78's were the UCs, the sunbirds had 3.9 final drives whereas the sixes had either 2.78, 3.08 or 3.35

m62vpute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP MANUAL S/C 3.8 UTE
A Barina or a Swift would have been my sugestion, i know they are a bit of a girly car but if you get a 5 speed manual you will be suprised on how nice they drive and handle compared to the 4 cylinder sunbirds (my girlfriend has a coupe swift)

You can pick up a 1992 to 1995 model for about $2500 to $3000 in good nick

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
So will ya mum ever see the car ? just put a six in it its not hard to do just change the cross member to a 6 cylinder one not sure on the diff think they had the banjo in them and off ya go (I had a uc sunbird with a 179 in it and its the best car ive ever had)

Ok so assuming dropping in a six is a pretty easy way to go, how easy would it be to actually find one that isn't in desperate need of a rebuild, or find one at all?

The girly ones aren't really my thing... I'd rather forget about the $4000 and save up for a HJ Premier to do up if those were my only other choices :).

THanks for all the advice btw :D

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
have a look on ebay for recently rebuilt 202s, should be able to pick up a fairly worked motor for less than a grand. A decent rebuild with a few mods is going to cost at least $1500 if you get it done yourself. You could take your chances with just a second hand stock 6 thats come out of a wreck etc for a $100 or so too.
One hassle you are going to have is if you are going to get it roadworthy. It depends on who gives you the roadworthy, its unlikely youll pick up a motor that will have all the emission control stuff fitted to it which is necessary to meet adr27A for a 78 model. Probably best to get it roadworthied with the four, then swap the motor,,,,though the reg authorities still may want to see it to record the engine number themselves....dont know in your state. Also factor in that you are going to have to do a diff/rear axle changeover.......possibly another $4-500, trans......if its behind an opel motor the trans wont bolt up to a 6 either, bellhousing has to be changed as well as possibly the tailshaft.
Perhaps also visit gmh-torana.com and get some opinions there too.

Sami

Reaction score
Members Ride
'97 Lexcen Wagon
Oh wow, awesome advice :) thanks for that! Getting a car over the pits won't be a problem. If we can get a HK Monaro with a 4/71 supercharger over the pits, we can get this roadworthied :whistling

Clutchy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz wagon
Yes, stromberg(typo). Hate to tell ya, but you cant read. I said its not the Stromberg, which is what every basic six cylinder holden had up to that time. Its just come to me(the name), the starfire got the twin barrel rochester varajet, quite a sophisticated unit. Also afaik the cross member for the starfire is exactly the same as for the 6cyl, just the opel was different. They all had salisburys differentials, the 78's were the UCs, the sunbirds had 3.9 final drives whereas the sixes had either 2.78, 3.08 or 3.35

Only going of my car mate with the cross member had to change it 4 the 6 it had the 6 in it wen i got it but had the mounts changed to suit the 6 and it had a banjo diff in it aswell. and the varajet is the worst carby ever made mate.

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
Only going of my car mate with the cross member had to change it 4 the 6 it had the 6 in it wen i got it but had the mounts changed to suit the 6 and it had a banjo diff in it aswell. and the varajet is the worst carby ever made mate.

That's great.....why not say that when you post rather than pretend to say it applies to all and sundry.
Possibly you had the opel motor where the mounts have to be changed.....I think I mentioned all that. As for a banjo in a UC, maybe the opel came with them too as a left over from the last model,however, one of the selling features of the UC was an all new diff, rts etc. The varajet one of the worst carbies everymade, you are talking specifically about the one on the starfire......I dont know, just reporting that it was far more a sophisticated unit that must have been included for a reason..........and Im not your mate.