Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden Takes To South Australia's Skies With The Airship

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Holden is taking its message to the skies of South Australia for the next three weeks on a massive airship boasting a television screen able to be viewed from up to a kilometre away.

The Holden Airship stretches across 54.3 metres and stands 16.8 metres tall, making it longer and taller than the current generation of Boeing 737 airplanes.

The Airship will visit Holden dealerships across regional South Australia and metropolitan Adelaide as part of the VE Commodore promotional campaign around Australia.

The airship screen is 21.3 metres wide and 9.1 metres tall, lit by 369,600 light emitting diodes (LEDs) and is designed specifically for viewing from ground level. Diagonally, the screen measures 914 inches.

The Airship, which is filled with approximately five million litres of helium, has been used exclusively by Holden for the launch of the billion-dollar VE Commodore range since July.

The Holden Airship can accommodate up to six crew, who are housed in an 8 metre by 6.2 metre gondola. The ship can fly up to speeds of 84 kilometres per hour.

GM Holden Marketing Manager, Large Cars and SUVs, Philip Brook, said that being able to incorporate the Holden Airship into the launch of the VE Commodore proved perfect timing.

“The launch of the all new VE Commodore, our first billion dollar car, is a huge event and we needed to make an equally huge impression for its launch,” Brook said.

Being the first to secure the Airship worldwide has been a marketing dream.”

My Gary Walsh of the Lightship Group, developers of the Airship, is confident the technology used on the ship’s screen will impress the Australian public.

“Until now, Airships and blimps have only been able to screen animation or basic graphic displays. The Holden Airship is the first to use the technology, allowing television footage to be broadcast on the Airship screen. We anticipate the response from Australians, who will be the first audience worldwide, will be very favourable.”

Source - Holden Media Web Site

holden#1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S1 Executive V6
It's an impressive sight - it was travelling up the sunshine coast QLD about 2 weeks ago - at the time there were 30 knot winds which were knocking it around heaps as it flew past...

hingo1983

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
I saw the blimp in Orange on the Bathurst race weekend. I was driving home from work and I noticed a shape through the top of my windscreen, I quickly pulled out my mobile phone and took a photo. The screen on it is massive.

fabz

I Can Do Science Me
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown V6 VT commodore 5 speed
i have a blow up plastic model from holden. I have one and you dont nah nah nah hahahahaha