Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VS 5L stutter/miss

Sammyscalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS Calais 5L
Hi
I got a Holden VS 5L and its killing me.
Long story short. It started with a mild miss under load when car was in 3rd or 4th between 1500 to 2000rpm. Fuel pump blew so got that replaced then its just been one thing after another since and its doing my bloody head in now.
Found coil lead faulty and burnt. Replaced coil lead and all spark plugs and leads, new coil, then had new injectors put in, someone said ignition module so did that too. Still not good. Found few codes coolant temp sensor, tps sensor. When changed injectors it started another problem. Was hard to start when hot. Checked o2 sensors and they were abit congested from running rich. Cleaned them and put back in. Any help, advice would be really appreciated. Don't know what else it could be. Dizzy button and cap was done about 1.5 - 2yrs ago. If you fang it sometimes seems ok but it doesn't have the up and go that it used to and its sluggish ad runs rough. Has anyone experienced this? What could it possibly be as everythings new. Even exhaust is too soo can't blocked exhaust.
Cheers

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Have you replaced the TPS yet? If not try that and see how it goes. If the TPS is faulty it will be terrible when accelerating and gear changes will also be off, assuming its an auto.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
........Checked o2 sensors and they were abit congested from running rich. Cleaned them and put back in. .....
Cheers

Not sure why you created a new post for your problem since the old one is still open.

To get a proper (remote) diagnosis and solution, it's important that you provide accurate information. You mention O2 (oxygen) sensors (plural). A standard VS V8 Commodore has only a single O2 sensor. Towards the end of the VS model range, Holden installed a number of the VT V8s into its cars, particularly the Utes, which had two O2 sensors. Is your Calais a VS3? What is the year of manufacture and VIN code?

You should note that physical engine problems, such as worn cam lobes, can also cause misfiring under load. Had this problem in my 383 Calais.

Sammyscalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS Calais 5L
Have you replaced the TPS yet? If not try that and see how it goes. If the TPS is faulty it will be terrible when accelerating and gear changes will also be off, assuming its an auto.
Hey yes replaced that

waynethomson

Reaction score
Members Ride
series 3 ute
Not sure why you created a new post for your problem since the old one is still open.

To get a proper (remote) diagnosis and solution, it's important that you provide accurate information. You mention O2 (oxygen) sensors (plural). A standard VS V8 Commodore has only a single O2 sensor. Towards the end of the VS model range, Holden installed a number of the VT V8s into its cars, particularly the Utes, which had two O2 sensors. Is your Calais a VS3? What is the year of manufacture and VIN code?

You should note that physical engine problems, such as worn cam lobes, can also cause misfiring under load. Had this problem in my 383 Calais.
my vs III v8 ute is build may 2000 and it only has the one o2 sensor

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
my vs III v8 ute is build may 2000 and it only has the one o2 sensor
ALL VS V8 models only had one oxygen sensor including roller cam HSV Versions. You can add an extra one and tick the flag in the tune if that's something you'd like to do. But the Vt came with 2 sensors on the 5L as standard.

HSVBMW

Reaction score
Members Ride
vh vn vt
Crank angle sensor? Map sensor? Air inlet sensor? Fuel pressure regulator?.....thats about all thats left based on your post. Fuel filter replaced?.....manifold gaskets leaking?