Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Holden VS Ute V6 - 5 Speed Manual

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Joker, I'm in a similar situation to you man.
I have a 95 VR Ute and have a kind of rattling/conking noise in mine too. I am trying to figure out wtf it is.
You know when you take off in 1st and if you dont feed it enough revs, and it shudders at bit, mine makes a weird disturbing noise. Ive just got a new heavy duty exedy clutch in it, I really hope it's not the clutch.. So I am in the same boat dude, I'm fair keen to figure out wtf its, i watched your vid and sounds kinda similar to mine. I've noticed that with the car idling and the clutch out it makes a tiny bit of the noise, but with it in it is basically fine.

Hmm the mine doesnt act weird at all when driving through the gears and using the clutch. Its only when i shut it down it always makes that weird noise obviously something that is slowing down/stopping isnt quite right. When starting up the car it has always been sluggish, im not sure if its how VS's were but when hot it starts quick as except something is still a bit rough and i almost swear i can hear the same noise as on shutdown. Last of all while idling if i stick my head under behind the front wheel you can hear this noise which i also think is related. I also guess it cold be due to older age etc.

I get the same rattle occasionally in my vr 5 speed, just when I turn the car off it has a bit of a rattle as it dies down, I've just put it down to it being an old car but I'll pay a bit more attention over the next few days and see if I can try to figure it out lol

Would be much appreciated.

Thanks guys
Matt.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR V6 Turbo Ute, 99 STI EJ207 GT FORESTER
Hmm, I was just talkin to my dad and he said it could be something to do with my cat converter. I took it off a while back and bored a hole through the honey comb, I dunno if this is the problem, i remember reading someone saying it could be the cat, Bit strange, Dunno if this kinda noise could be associated with the cat though. I dont hear anything bad when starting or shutting down the engine, all i hear is a huge suck from my k&n pod filter lol :)
Anyways might troubleshoot it a bit after my HSC finishes ay

jokerflingo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VY SS 2003 - 6 Speed Manual
Hmm, I was just talkin to my dad and he said it could be something to do with my cat converter. I took it off a while back and bored a hole through the honey comb, I dunno if this is the problem, i remember reading someone saying it could be the cat, Bit strange, Dunno if this kinda noise could be associated with the cat though. I dont hear anything bad when starting or shutting down the engine, all i hear is a huge suck from my k&n pod filter lol :)
Anyways might troubleshoot it a bit after my HSC finishes ay

So in other terms you ruined the cat? When i took my exhaust off my cat looked alright when i looked at it but who knows what was on the other side of the mesh. Dont think it could be that though.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol yeah i think it is now dude, I am fair sure it is coming from the cat, in which I am kind of releaved, cause it's not a gear box problem. I wobbled my cat and tapped on it, and Im almost 100% sure it's coming from there.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Aiight, pulled my cat off today, half the honey comb **** inside it was just sliding around so I got all off the crap out and wacked it back on and it is fine now, burbles like a v8 when it idles and sounds more oomphy when it accelerates.

NOTE:

For anyone that is playing around with the stuff in the cat, make sure you do it in a fairly open area and wear appropriate PPE (Mask, gloves and glasses) The stuff inside is very carsenagenic and should be double bagged and binned with no traces left behind.

So anyways, this was my problem, maybe it has somethin to do with your problem Joker, but still not sure ay man.

wamboin23

Donating Member w/ Boost
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais - Cooled L67 + T56 | VF SSV Ute
Aiight, pulled my cat off today, half the honey comb **** inside it was just sliding around so I got all off the crap out and wacked it back on and it is fine now, burbles like a v8 when it idles and sounds more oomphy when it accelerates.

NOTE:

For anyone that is playing around with the stuff in the cat, make sure you do it in a fairly open area and wear appropriate PPE (Mask, gloves and glasses) The stuff inside is very carsenagenic and should be double bagged and binned with no traces left behind.

So anyways, this was my problem, maybe it has somethin to do with your problem Joker, but still not sure ay man.

ALSO NOTE: make sure you don't get caught with a gutted cat unless you have alot of spare cash

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
So in other terms you ruined the cat? When i took my exhaust off my cat looked alright when i looked at it but who knows what was on the other side of the mesh. Dont think it could be that though.

The easiest way to check if it is the cat disintegrating is to remove it and shake it in every way. Sometimes you can feel the matrix sliding around or bits of it that have broken off rattling. If they get contaminated with oil they just go solid.
Can you remove the clutch/flywheel cover and look up into that area as the car is turned off? - I'd carefully watch whether the flywheel moves forward or back as the engine winds down.

Commo_Carl

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lol very true wamboin23, very true indeed.

If you take your cat off you can see inside whether it is f'd, mine had a whole section sliding back a forth, also you can tell, if you see little gold flakes in your exhaust tip or anything that's normally a sign, I had some in my exhaust carbon build up in the tip and later realised when i took it off that there was alot of it inside in the wooly layer inside. I think it might actually be gold, but i dunno ay, not worth trying to salvage it if it is lol.

And yeah hako, that's a good idea if it's possible, could be a good starting point

Dazza79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Ecotec - V6 manual
Hi guys

Just thought I'd bump this thread, as my 97 VS ecotec 5 speed is doing pretty much the exact same thing as OP.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks