Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home Brew Kits

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Thinking of getting a Coopers Micro Home Brew kit for xmas.
Has anyone had any luck with home brew?
Any thing i should look for in a kit??
Cheers!!

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
first thing about home brew is make sure everything is as clean as it can get, the littlest bit of crap will throw out your whole brew, be patient with it, it's growing, use plenty of sugar:D , things to look for in a kit, 1. instructions, 2.plastic keg, little bubbler thingy that goes on top of plastic keg, and if you in cold climate get them to chuck in a heater pad.

other then that go down to the dump and get as many tallies as you can and spend a good day cleaning all of them, also get a bottle stand it's the best way to dry them out.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Buy your stuff from a home brew shop. The shop will tell you a whole heap of things about brewing more than just buying a kit at Kmart or whatever. The problem is most people who buy the kits give up after a couple of times. Buying stuff from a brew shops gives you more confidence and you have backup and advise if things don't go right.

Don't use just dextrose as a brewing sugar. Use liquid or powder malts instead. Buy in bulk and get a set of 5KG scales to weigh your 1 Kg brewing sugar. Like buy say 10 kilos of malt at a time instead of buying individual packs. It's cheaper. Make sure everything is sterilised and clean. Don't add boiling water into the fermenter with powedered malt. It will go clumpy. Add corn syrup to give better, fuller head :)
Get a bench capper. Hand cappers are ****. Keep bottles in a dark, cool place for minimum 3 months and up to 1-2 years. Experiment when making stouts. Add some extra hops, maybe some chocolate grain or black barley to give it more 'kick'. :)

As I said above, go to a brew shop and buy your kit! You don't need a pretty cardboard box with Coopers name on the box.

The brew shops have many different beer kits (meaning the cans). Buy from the supermarket as the Coopers kits because it might be 2-3 dollars cheaper. Experiment and don't give up. Keep going and it can only get better.

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
Remove the labels off the bottles. Soak them in big buckets of water for 2-3 days and the labels peel off. The best way to clean used stubbies is in the dishwasher! :D Put it on normal wash and don't use rinse aid or powder. Be careful as the bottles will be hot but I guarantee they will be 100% sterilised!

sparky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Wagon
All of the above, but also get ready for good cheap beers. Plus after the first couple of brews you make it just tastes better and better.

clinster73

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina S2
Thanx for your advice craigvk.
What about using the plastic bottles that are provided?
This sounds easy this way....?????
and can i use normal stubbies instead of the long necks?

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
Thanx for your advice craigvk.
What about using the plastic bottles that are provided?
This sounds easy this way....?????
and can i use normal stubbies instead of the long necks?

yu can use any bottle you want mate, a mate of mine once used grolsh bottles.

the best way to do it, is by keg (proper metal keg) the plastic one is fine (my old an won the radio comp in t'ville for home brew, at the time he was usin only the plastic keg.)

craigvk

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L Calais
I will be honest, I haven't brewed in a while due to lack of space haha. Yes I don't think there is a problem with using plastic bottles. I wouldn't be a fan of it personally. It's sort of like having screw top wines :)
There is nothing wrong with using normal stubbies but avoid hand cappers as I break 1 in 5 or so bottles :bang: Bench cappers don't break bottles and give a much better seal too. Normal stubbies you just add half a tea spoon of any sugar and long necks just add one tea spoon. Many kit brewers don't add sugar to individual bottles these days, they prime the whole kit by transferring the right amount of sugar in one fermenter and transferring via a plastic hoses. Saves you having to prime each bottle one by one.

Stupa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU Storm
plastic bottles work fine, I've used 2ltr coke bottles before without any problems

crazyspoon05

Penguin Whisperer
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
VW Golf GTI (RIP The 'Bizta' VNVPVR Wagz)
Some of the glass stubbies around nowadays can crack if reused as well as the glass is a lot thinner than it used to be

We've been homebrewing for a while but it does pay to spent the little bit extra and go to a brew shop to get your malts, etc as it does make a lot of difference from just using a can of stuff and the dextrose, etc you can get at the supermarkets