Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Home stereo drivers

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Not a car audio question but anyway....
My Mum has a Cerwin Vega stereo from the 80's that was top of the range in its day. For the last couple years though, it has been unusable because the foam surrounds on the 10" drivers have fallen apart.

We want to hang onto the basic system for sentimental reasons, but I was hoping to be able to throw in a couple new drivers and at least get it up and running again for her.

Keeping in mind that it will never be played very loud, but we want to keep the best SQ we can, what drivers would anyone recommend?

It's just a 2-way system with a horn in each box as well, no idea on the crossover points, amp power etc.

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Those links didn't work, but I assume you are talking about the suspension kits?
It had crossed my mind, but I have never done it, or know anyone who has so I put it in the "too hard" basket.

If that's going to work out easier and cheaper for the same results I'm happy to give it a shot.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
$40 for the suspension kit (12") and $60 for the entire woofer. If prices will be that similar everywhere I look I might just replace the whole thing.
If I ever find some free time I will head to jaycar and have a listen, but are there any other places that would sell good quality parts or woofers like that?

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
WES components sell higher quality Vifa drivers plus a few other brands, but i dont know how you would be able to listen / buy some....ive just got a wholesale account with them.

Jaycar also sell a Vifa car audio subwoofers now, with dual 4 ohm coils so you could wire them to 8 ohm each. They would go harder then those other ones, but the price is well over double. I reckon as youre not after a huge amount of bass / volume those $60 versions will do the job ;)

AutoSlick

Reaction score
Members Ride
Golf GTI Mk6
The vifa in jaycar is the new junk from india, at least thats what other people keep telling me. If you need some home theatre stuff just let me know and I can hunt down what you want.

holdenboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
The vifa in jaycar is the new junk from india, at least thats what other people keep telling me.

Really? Well thats news to me......havent used them yet so I'll have to wait and see.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon

Cheers for that link. I found the part I need but it is sold. I'll keep an eye on that site until I either find another one or have a go at fixing it.

The vifa in jaycar is the new junk from india, at least thats what other people keep telling me. If you need some home theatre stuff just let me know and I can hunt down what you want.

I was going to have a chat with you on MSN about this as soon as I have more than 5 mins to sit down at the computer at a time.

Those subs I bought off you arrived today as well, but noone was home when the courier was here and they wouldn't let my housemate pick them up from the depot, even with a proof of ID that I had left for him, so I'll pick them up tomorrow morning

WES components sell higher quality Vifa drivers plus a few other brands, but i dont know how you would be able to listen / buy some....ive just got a wholesale account with them.

Jaycar also sell a Vifa car audio subwoofers now, with dual 4 ohm coils so you could wire them to 8 ohm each. They would go harder then those other ones, but the price is well over double. I reckon as youre not after a huge amount of bass / volume those $60 versions will do the job ;)

Would the subs go alright in a 2-way system? Wouldn't the midbass in them sound ****? But your right, Mum will probably listen to mostly background classical and a bit of ABC radio, so they don't need to go too hard, just sound good as she is almost as fussy as me