Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hook an Ipod up to a stock head?

jbj123

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais
Hey Guys, just purchased my first Commodore, a 99 VT Calais and was browsing the web when i stumbled across this forum! I love it!

Anyway, i had a look through this forum and didn't find any topics really relating to this, so here goes...

I have an Ipod which holds all my music on it, which i usually listen to in the car through an itrip, which broadcasts the signal to a radio freq of my choice. I am quite frankly fed up with the sound quality it provides. At home i have a cable which i put in the headphone jack which leads to an auxillary port of my amp. I was wondering if it would be possable at all to directly connect my pod to the stock head without buying an amp, eg. disconnect the stacker and use its input cable? Also, is the stock stereo in the VT Calias any good? Thanks a lot

Lostboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S2 Berlina
I had the same issue and after a lot of discussion with car audio "experts" I finally went for a new head unit with IPOD capability. I now have an Alpine CDA W560EG head unit with the IPOD Interface Adapter (Alpine model KCA4201) fitted in the glovebox. Basically I dock my IPOD in the adapter in the glovebox and run everything through the head unit. You get full IPOD control directly from the head unit including all the menus and text etc you see on an IPOD screen with maximun quality sound. It keeps it charged as well. Probably not the solution you were looking for but it sounds awesome and looks awesome. I don't know if any other companies offer the IPOD adapter.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Lostboy said:
I had the same issue and after a lot of discussion with car audio "experts" I finally went for a new head unit with IPOD capability. I now have an Alpine CDA W560EG head unit with the IPOD Interface Adapter (Alpine model KCA4201) fitted in the glovebox. Basically I dock my IPOD in the adapter in the glovebox and run everything through the head unit. You get full IPOD control directly from the head unit including all the menus and text etc you see on an IPOD screen with maximun quality sound. It keeps it charged as well. Probably not the solution you were looking for but it sounds awesome and looks awesome. I don't know if any other companies offer the IPOD adapter.
I went for the the Alpine CDA-9851 single DIN hu with an iPod interface in the glove box. After researching around a bit I seemed to come to the conclusion that the Alpine interface and controls were the best on the market at the time.

There are a few things I wish they would improve, but it beats controlling through the iPod itself. As for other manuf's that have a similar product, I think Kenwood have an interface out as well, but from what I read not as user friendly.

docsassy

Reaction score
vystorm_adel said:
I went for the the Alpine CDA-9851 single DIN hu with an iPod interface in the glove box. After researching around a bit I seemed to come to the conclusion that the Alpine interface and controls were the best on the market at the time.

There are a few things I wish they would improve, but it beats controlling through the iPod itself. As for other manuf's that have a similar product, I think Kenwood have an interface out as well, but from what I read not as user friendly.

I slated this idea of a Eurovox iPod IF some months ago but put it on the back burner for more pressing projects. The interface itself would be quite easy to do but for lack of interest I couldn't be bothered moving on with it.

The Alpine version is pretty bad - slow response time and only has Playlist, Album and Artist folders. If the Kenwwod version is worse than this....

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Hrm, consider this a bump, anyone know if thers been any developmnent on this track?. Or if the Ice>Link works with the eurovox units? It lists "Sony UniLink", which i'm 95% sure the eurovox uses.. Anyone able to confirm this?

y_sot

Reaction score
I have a pioneer cd deck with a stacker option, you can buy a ipod adapter which goes into the stacker port in the deck. Just need to wiring it to the power to get it working. plug the ipod in and away you go. You can control the IPOD through the cd deck.

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
I know that alpine have also removed the need for the separate interface and now have the ipod input straight into the ainet connection on the rear of the unit. Not sure if the controls are any different as they are pretty basic on the older model I have at the moment.

docsassy

Reaction score
Hrm, consider this a bump, anyone know if thers been any developmnent on this track?. Or if the Ice>Link works with the eurovox units? It lists "Sony UniLink", which i'm 95% sure the eurovox uses.. Anyone able to confirm this?

If there was demand for this I would build it. You would be looking at a cost of around $150->200 but this would contain a direct link into the VT/Eurovox HU for you and full control over 6 playlists and 99 tracks per disc (CD limitations unfortunately). At this price I'd have to sell 50-100 units to make it viable.

ICElink isn't available for the Eurovox and theres been a bit of a rift between DensionUSA and Dension. They are two seperate companies and DensionUSA was re-selling Densions products but turned around and screwed them over and the founders of DensionUSA created DICE Electronics.

So is anyone really interested in a VT/VX iPod interface??

Last edited:

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
I'm Definitely interested .. Are you sure on the eurovox support for the icelink? I was under the impression that Eurovox stackers were actually sony stackers? it is *IDENTICAL* to 2 different sony stackers i've owned, and infact takes the cartridge from my mother-in-law's 10 cd sony stacker without problem. Even the error codes they chuck up are the same :)
The IceLink site lists all sony stackers are supported... But either way, if you could get the interest up, that price is cheaer than the ice link :)

docsassy

Reaction score
I'm Definitely interested .. Are you sure on the eurovox support for the icelink? I was under the impression that Eurovox stackers were actually sony stackers? it is *IDENTICAL* to 2 different sony stackers i've owned, and infact takes the cartridge from my mother-in-law's 10 cd sony stacker without problem. Even the error codes they chuck up are the same :)
The IceLink site lists all sony stackers are supported... But either way, if you could get the interest up, that price is cheaer than the ice link :)

Why don't you try plugging the Sony CDC in then? Trust me it doesn't work. There was a thread on this a while back. It may look the same but there is a proprietary protocol.

Yeah I know the price is cheaper than ICE link. What Dension is doing is nothing special. Its just getting time to do it as I'm under the pump on some other projects right now and this is down the bottom. If we can drum up enough interest I'd have no problem getting this running. This will also run on VS Eurovox HU's.

Maybe we can have a sticky with people looking for this??