Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hooking up Gauges and neons, (btw im not a riceburnin noob)

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Hey guys im looking at putting a few gauges underneath my head deck in my ute. Although im relatively unsure about installation, i was thinking a volts gauge as i run my decent sized stereo a bit when the car is off, oil pressure and maybe oil temp. Any suggestions? really i would like 3 2inch gauges to adaqueatly fill the spot. But would like a relatively easy installation. But through installation will i need a t piece of some sort to connect the original sender and the gauge sender so it works through both the gauge and to my dash warnings. The gauges will be a bit of a cosmetic installation but would also like the practicle element of them. Im not after a massive monster tacho just some simple guages that will enhance the looks and be useable.

Anyone know much about the type r gauges they seem very cheap, probs too cheap, any recomendations?

Furthermore im looking into placing some neons that will shine into my footrests and maybe one into the tray (under rear windscreen) that i can switch on when sleeping in the back. When buying the neons do i simply cut off the 12v cigerette lighter end bit and wire into a 12v accesories line? if so which one or how am i best to go around this. As i want a nice neat finish with simple a switch on the the back or inside of the centre console.

alternatively if there are any other threads that you know of and that i may have been unable to find that outlines the solutions to my problems this would be great.

Any help would be great, im young but willing to learn and want to gain as much from my fellow forum members wisdom.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Cant help you with the gauges mate, but neons are fairly easy. The cigarette lighter is only on when the car is on - which means your neons can only be too if you do wire into the cigarette circuit. If you want to be able to control the neons anytime, you will need to wire to a circuit that is always on (there are a few near the radio) or straight to the battery.

Summer-Sickness

2005 VZ EXEC
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
05 VZ Executive
i have an underseat neon in my passengers side (drivers side and boot to be done soon) i wired it into the cigarette circuit and also put a switch in, that was i can turn them off if i want to. its pretty simple, i got my switch off an old guitar amp of mine and drilled and cut a hole the right size in the centre consol... it looks like its meant to be there.

azkwazere

Ahhh Yes, Ahhh Yes....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5-SPD / 24-SPD Racer Hybrid
I dont add anything to the orignal wiring without using relays.

Run a power cable from your battery(fused) to a relay. Use the ACC wire to trigegr the relay. Ground it anywhere solid cahssis metal is.

My neons are wired so that:

When doors open, Foot neons come on.

Doors Closed, neons go off...

Flick a switch, neons come on...

So auto and manual. All with relays though. Always use relays!

Same with guages. run a relay and create a "guage circut" car turns on, all your guages turn on. That way there not drwaing power from the already loaded ign line.

aZk.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
You dont have to use relays. You should first work out how much current you are going to draw from the circuit. If youre only drawing something like an amp, using a relay will only waste $ as you need the wiring, a new fuse and a new relay - will take much longer too. All extra things to go wrong too. Sure if you are using 10 amps - work out how much extra current youre drawing first. If you can add your item to an existing circuit and you dont blown your standard fuse - there is no need for a relay.

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
question guys, what do i need mechanical or electrical guages im currently lookin the 2 inch speco ones

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
as previously said both ways of wiring up neons will work. legally u will need electrical gauges as mechanical ones require u having oil filled lines in the cabin that could split and u get covered in nice hot oil. the mechanical ones are illegal to have in the cabin but i dont think the cops would like them on ur bonnet either. wiring them up is easy as.

this should be right up ur alley
http://www.****************.com/images/tech/PDF/145-148 TECH.pdf
u will need adobe reader or similar to open this

EDIT:in the above address instead of the stars put "str eet comm odores" (without spaces). its censored, must be a grudge or sumfin lol

JT090

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
cheers peakn6 i appreciate it alot only just noticed last night when checkin out the gauges that clears it up for me i wasnt to sure of the rules requiring mechanicals kinda figured it would be easier to wire up the electrical ones anyway

once again i appreciate your help

hmmmmm just read up on all that info on the un nameable site lol

from it i have an issue with the gauges is the lack of a T piece and the inability of the stock water temp gauge to be also used.

does anyone know if you can run T pieces for these senders so i can use the stock gauge and the warninglight/stock temp gauge

Last edited:

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
no probs mate, like to help out where i can :thumbsup:

you can use t-pieces wherever you like. i put one on me bro's vk so he could run the after market gauge and also run an oil light that comes on when the psi gets too low. the oil lights uses the same one as the factory gauge tho but obviously a new one, so shud work out fine.

good luck :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim Series I
hey im not good with wiring and all that, but i baught my neons and there from hong kong, not the best place to buy em from haha
but i only got 5 days warranty n i wanna know is there a way to test em so i know they work? like is there any sort of way xcept wiring em to the car, cos i was gonna do tha on the weekend
cheers,