Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hoping to buy a VY.. What should I know, etc?

Joshhat98

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Ex Cop & WB Ute WIP
Hey there, first post. So, Hi!

I'm hoping to buy my first, drivable car some time soon. There's a 2004 Holden VY Executive for sale locally, I'll be going to take a look at it tomorrow, from the pictures I've seen it looks to be fairly good, no scratches and no other body damage other than a cracked rear bumper and a missing drivers door mould.

It has a 230000 km's on the clock, the current buyers been living in the country, so I'm going to take a guess its done a lot of highway travel it comes with 17" alloys and the description says, it has been serviced regularly and has very good interior. All up, it looks pretty clean other than the damage that's been said. Silver in colour. It doesn't come with a RWC and the rego expires in under a month. I'm thinking I might be able to get them to cash in the rego, that way I can have a month or two while I work on it and get it all ready before paying rego.

The asking price is $3200, I'm thinking somewhere around $2500 would be more reasonable. So my question is, how much would you recommend paying and what things should I be on the lookout for?

Thanks for reading my post, I can't wait to get involved in the forums and I'm sure you guys will see me around!

P.S; I hope this is in the right section..

Image:
lFxV0j6.jpg

Last edited:

Hikerjoe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY executive sedan
1st time user of any forum but thought I had to contribute

I have a VY series 11 and yesterday the brake pedal went straight to the floor travelling at 5 km/hr luckily able to pull over and stop. Called the mechanic who told me all Holdens and Ford should get new brake fluid every two years! My car had moisture content 5% which causes brake failure usually on hot days. It seems the seals (not sure which) are not tight and allow moisture in. I was able to drive the car with normal braking power early am to get to the mechanic 15 km away but I understand that it would have happened again if I didn't get it fixed.

So guys get the brake fluid replaced, for $130 to save yr life wouldn't you do it every 2 years?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
You can do it yourself for damn site cheaper than $130. Get a cheap $2 turkey baster and new brake fluid for $15 and it's job done.

Just to add to that , don't get it on your skin , and keep it away from the paintwork , it's nasty stuff .

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Geez last time I had my brakes bled at a workshop it cost just $55.00

SavVYute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S V6 Ute Series II 2004
1st time user of any forum but thought I had to contribute

I have a VY series 11 and yesterday the brake pedal went straight to the floor travelling at 5 km/hr luckily able to pull over and stop. Called the mechanic who told me all Holdens and Ford should get new brake fluid every two years! My car had moisture content 5% which causes brake failure usually on hot days. It seems the seals (not sure which) are not tight and allow moisture in. I was able to drive the car with normal braking power early am to get to the mechanic 15 km away but I understand that it would have happened again if I didn't get it fixed.

So guys get the brake fluid replaced, for $130 to save yr life wouldn't you do it every 2 years?

Have a read of your owners handbook that comes with the car and you'll find that the fluid flushed every two years is part of the service schedule.
A proper flush involves cycling the ABS system to get fresh fluid through the module as well.

Geez last time I had my brakes bled at a workshop it cost just $55.00

Lol. How many years ago was that Wortus? ;)

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It was only 2 years ago this December SavVYute. I've had it done every 2 years carried over from when the previous owner had it done and the time before that it was $50
for that $$ I didn't think it was worth doing it myself as he put about 1.5 litres of fluid through it the first time and it's done in next to no time.

peterhsv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ CALAIS 2005 Odyssey Mica
That's a VZ Alloytec you have in the picture, not a VY!! (unless they have changed the rear bar and tail lights). Check if it has a Alloytec 3.6 (VZ) or ecotec 3,8 (VY) to know which. or the year it was made.

Ive been told the timing chain is a problem on the VE Alloytec if it hasn't been serviced properly or frequently....... so assuming it s a VZ it has an alloytec, that may be one thing to watch out for, but I do not know how..............

anyone else?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
The VY and VZ have the same tail lights , it would also have Alloytec V6 on the front guard if it's a VZ , that just has V6 .
That's a VY .