Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

horn not working???

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
Could poss be the clock spring. See if you can remove the actual horn and from under the front bumper and test to see if it works..

I was under the impression that horns work by completing the earth circuit to make them work.

scottysvtcommie

Reaction score
Members Ride
05 vz calais
Could poss be the clock spring. See if you can remove the actual horn and from under the front bumper and test to see if it works..

I was under the impression that horns work by completing the earth circuit to make them work.

yer mate iv removed the actual horn and tested it and it works fine, is there something in the steering wheel that could be the cause ??

cheers scott

BOGANV8

I gotta V8 whoot whoot
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX 02 SS LS1
yeah could be the clock spring behind the wheel its a common thing with VTs.

6-PAC-ATTACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT EX S1 3.8L
Had the same problem drove me mad checked every thing turned out to be the contacts so me being lazy al i did was spray wd40 in the cracks around the steering wheel so i did not have to remove it you will see a gap the hole way around just put the stick nozle on the wd40 rag under steering wheel annd spray all the way round leave for ten min mine works better than new now

GEORGEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
twin turbo 308 i wish
i also have the same problem only thing is the fuse is already out but when i put it in it works and stays on then wen i take it out it dosnt work at all ? anyone know what to do ? cheers

NSTG8R

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV Maloo R8 + VX Berlina 5.7
clock spring needs replacing. If the horn is either stuck on, or not working at all then 99% certainty that it will be a clock spring fault

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
hay my horn on my vt has stopped working, iv tested it and it still works if i put it on the battery and the fuse is alright still but there seems to be no power at the wires that are at the horn, so its got me stumped were its lost power and why it dosnt work, anyone know what it could be??

cheers scott

Every horn has a horn switch and a power relay.

The horn switch pad is located on the steering wheel.

The horn power relay is located under the hood.

The horn switch only powers up the relay.

The relay then powers the horn.

So you need to test which component is not working.

Firstly rotate the steering wheel as far right then as far left as you can then back to centre. This usually gets a faulty clock spring and horn working but it won't last long. If this gets the horn working go straight to disconnecting battery, airbag and removal of steering wheel. SKIP FROM HERE.

The first thing you need to do is work out if the horn and horn relay work.

You can do this by locating the horn relay under the hood, right hand side in the fuse/relay box.

Swap it with another relay. There should be others that are identical. If the horn still doesn't work it's not the relay.

Unplug the relay and look at it's side. It will show which contacts are which. Then connect a piece of wire across the horn contacts in the relay socket. If the
horn operates then the problem is most likely at the steering wheel and is most likely the clock spring under the steering wheel.

The clock spring is what they used to call the horn ring. It's a rotating ring that makes power connections for the airbag and the horn from the steering wheel which
has to rotate, to a fixed connector.

These are sealed and cannot be repaired. Average cost is around $160.

SKIP TO HERE.
Disconnect negative lead of battery and remove airbag fuse under steering wheel. Make sure you have the radio code first.
Hinge the fuse cover down from under the steering wheel to expose the fuses.
Remove four bolts at back that secure airbag and horn pad to steering wheel. You need a special socket that is knurled on the outside a bit like a hex key but has a hole in the middle.

Disconnect the red connector with a tiny screwdriver. Look for the tab and gently lift whilst withdrawing plug from socket.

With a small blade screwdriver carefully lever the yellow plug from airbag. The whole yellow connector comes away from the airbag in one piece. Remove the airbag assembly and place aside.

Centre the steering wheel then remove the steering wheel bolt. Don't worry that the bolt looks different. A 16mm socket or thereabouts will still work on it.

Remove bolt and steering wheel slides straight off. Thread wires through steering wheel.

With a small blade screwdriver lever between the top half and bottom half of the indicator stalk plastic cover and the top will pop apart. Lift it off. Locate the screw on the bottom cover and remove. Bottom cover will now fall away. Locate the wiring connector at the back of the clock spring and move the plastic yellow tab to the left to unclip the connector from the socket. Locate the four plastic clips at the back of the clock spring unclip and the clock spring lifts off.

When installing the new clock spring make sure the instructions are followed about centering the clock spring otherwise it will break when you turn the wheel. Holding it with the top facing up rotate the clockspring clockwise several times until it stops. Rotate it back 2 and a half times until you see the green marker through the slit at the top. Now install the clockspring and in reverse order restore the covers and steering wheel.

When putting the plastic covers back ensure that you locate the bottom cover firstly over the two knobs under the steering wheel then the screw hole will be in the right position to do up. Failing to do this will cause the steering wheel to rub on the plastic cover.

There are no cheap clock springs. They are all $160 new. Don't mess with used ones. The airbag may not work!

Last edited: