Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hose exanded

Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore
I have changed the thermostat. Just bought a new hose and heater tap. Will change tge other hoses on pay day when i can afford the rest. How to i stop the coolant leaking out when i do change the hose and heater tap?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
How to i stop the coolant leaking out when i do change the hose and heater tap?

You shouldn't lose much if your quick. You could drain the rad and catch the coolant if you really want. I don't normally bother for a heater hose or tap swap. I will normally just raise the hoses as needed. Just top up with some demineralised water and coolant if you have some left over.

Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore
Thanks losh1971. Also how do i properly bleed from the thermostat housing? I have about half a litre of coolant left of a six litre bottle, after i flushed the system taking into account there would be like 6 litres of water still in the system. Sorry for all the questions. I am trying to do this on my own without paying for someone to do it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Leave the rad cap off, get it up to temp, remove the bleeder screw, keep topping up until the rad can take no more. Once the bleeder starts dribbling out nicely it should be bled. On mine it self bleeds a tad as well. That is once you get it pretty much right the last of the air escapes through the expansion and natural draw down process that occurs when the engine heats and cools.

Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore
So if it is still bubbling keep screw off until it stops?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah

Red

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Commodore
I left the cap off kept topping it up. The thermo fan kicked in and drew more in so i tooped it up then it stopped bubbling. Undone the screw again to bleed it and coolant sprayed out while undoing it. I think all the air is out now. So got a new hose on and heater tap. Will replace other hoses next week! Will have to bleed the air out again when i do that i am guessing?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep have to bleed it each time and yes that is the way to do it. If it has a tiny bit of air still in the system it should work its way out over the period of three or four runs and complete cool downs.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Have to agree change all hoses and clamps and heater tap