Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hot or Not

dynamytedave

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SS-V Redline SportWagon, 2003 CV8R Monaro
I dunno about you guys, but I kinda dig the way Yank Cop Cars look. There's something about them, maybe it stems back to The Blues Brother's, with their Dodge Monaco with the big block 440 in it, with the cop brakes, the cop suspension, man I'd love to go out doing some big smokey burnouts in one of those old girls with the lights flashing and the siren screaming. Here's a link for a laugh,

YouTube - Blues Brothers Car Burnout!

Our NSW Highway SS's look good, but the Ford ones look even better, but only when they're on fire.

So I suppose mostly everyone has heard that Holden wants to get in on the action Stateside, supplying various state governments with Caprice's modified for use as cop cars. I found this story; (New Chevrolet Caprice Police Patrol Vehicle to Hit the Streets in Early 2011 - Hot Rod Magazine )
on HotRod magazine's website, which gives the impression that it's all about to go ahead. If only GM had have kept the Pontiac G8 on sale in the US, they would have caught on earlier and Holden would be flying along pumping out left hook Caprices faster than they make our right hand drive cars. It would be a huge boon for the local manufacturers if it does go ahead.

At the moment the only viable option for pursuit cars in the states are Ford Crown Victoria's, which are pretty much the only rear drive sedan made in America, and it goes without saying, that our Commodore based versions would be a far better alternative to the Ford product.

I remember seeing pics of Highway cars in the Middle East in Street Machine, a few years back, they were using VY Caprice's at the time.

Here's a few pics of the latest Holden proposal;

chevy-caprice-cop-car_6.jpg

chevy-caprice-cop-car_1.jpg

chevy-caprice-cop-car_2.jpg

chevy-caprice-cop-car_11.jpg

There is also a link to Holden's website outlining their plans: Chevrolet Caprice PPV

Other thoughts are also raised by this idea; Is Chevrolet going to reintroduce the Caprice as part of their normal passenger line up, I reckon they'd be silly not to consider it.