Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Hotdog sizes - how does it affect sound?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Bought and fitted a Redback Cat back to my WK Statesman and am disappointed with the lack of exhaust note.
Not much rumble and not very loud at all.
I had one fitted to a VX SS and it sounded a lot better than this does.
Im thinking i might replace the front 2 mufflers with hotdogs, just like the Manta exhaust offers (which is what i wanted but couldnt afford at the time).
Hotdogs come in various sizes - does the length matter?
Is a 9 inch better than a 12 inch?
How will it effect the sound/tone of the exhaust?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Basically, the larger the body, the quieter and deeper the note.

The longer the hotdog, the quieter it will be. A 12" one will be quieter than 9" one. I would go 2 x 12" ones on the front, the same as Manta.

WAGONBEAST57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina Wagon V8 A4
I did the exact same thing with a redback exhaust which I was also disappointed with when I first got it, it does improve the note but I am still considering swapping it out for a di filippo/manta/pacemaker. Im starting to think the crap merges on these cheap exhausts have a lot to do with the poor note - maybe you could sell the redback now while its new and recoup some of the loss??

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
And get a Manta....

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
Its quiet enough already.
At 60kmh+ you cant even hear it when cruising, same at 100kmh.
Only when taking off can you hear it and at idle but it isnt anything like the last catback i had.
This is the SS which i had a Redback Catback - this is the sound i wanted but didnt get this time.
VX SS Exhaust - YouTube

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Removing the mufflers will be what makes it loud. The hotdogs will take the edge off, not make it quieter than the mufflers.

The rear Redback resonator tends to be raspy too.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
Its quiet enough already.
At 60kmh+ you cant even hear it when cruising, same at 100kmh.
Only when taking off can you hear it and at idle but it isnt anything like the last catback i had.
This is the SS which i had a Redback Catback - this is the sound i wanted but didnt get this time.
VX SS Exhaust - YouTube
no offence but that doesn't sound any good either. Why don't you just get a custom one made up from scratch....would've saved u time, money, and effort.

Few years back I had a setup done by a shop and they said it would sound great....I waited at the shop and watched em work on it. They fired it up and it sounded like absolute garbage....I wasn't happy and refused to pay, they pulled it out and fitted what I originally requested.....but they convinced me to go their option pfft whatever!

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
no offence but that doesn't sound any good either.

I agree, sounds terrible.

I have a manta from NAAF, absolutely love it.

Redbacks/lukeys are very cheap and nasty and no amount of work to them will make them sound any better, it's not just the quality of mufflers thats a factor but the steel used too....the piping is almost as thick as the tin used on coke cans hehe, which gives the exhaust a very hollow/tinny sound.

Good systems (manta, customs etc) generally have much thicker piping used, which helps give a superior note.

GTR27

Reaction score
Members Ride
TBA
My experience with cheap exhausts is you get what you pay for. I've had a few x-forces (one on the WL and it was complete crap!, other on a VE and it was better but still not perfect) I have a Difillipo catback on the WL atm, and its easily the best exhaust I have heard. Absolutely perfect amount of burble at idle, rumble when you drive, roar when you gun it, but quiet at cruise. Sounds deep and tough with none of that horrid rasp you get from so many cheap exhausts. Seriously could not recommend them enough! Not cheap though (~$900 for a catback) but worth every single cent.