Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Stock VE SS Muffler upgrade

Zanda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Wagon
Hi All,

I’m new to this forum and new to Commodores, just bought my first last week - a 2011 SS Sportwagon. Engine/exhaust all completely OEM.

Amazing car but was disappointed with the lack of v8 rumble like I remember from my dad’s ‘69 Kingswood station wagon (~30 years ago).

Ordered Ultrex mufflers for $350 (+ delivery) and couldn’t be happier. Plenty of other SS’ out there sounding better with many mods, but to have the v8 actually sound like a v8 for $350 is a bargain.

Cheers,
Alex

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SSV Sedan
Hi All,

I’m new to this forum and new to Commodores, just bought my first last week - a 2011 SS Sportwagon. Engine/exhaust all completely OEM.

Amazing car but was disappointed with the lack of v8 rumble like I remember from my dad’s ‘69 Kingswood station wagon (~30 years ago).

Ordered Ultrex mufflers for $350 (+ delivery) and couldn’t be happier. Plenty of other SS’ out there sounding better with many mods, but to have the v8 actually sound like a v8 for $350 is a bargain.

Cheers,
Alex
I bet majority of those better sounding SS's just have muffler delete pipes as that is a common cheap mod (like $150 for the pair)

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
The Aussie V8 was a great sounding engine, I know, I had a 1977 LX M20 V8 Torana, and installed Extractors, wasn't loud, just a nice burble.

However, you won't get the same sound out a VE V8, but it will sound nice,
keeping in mind, the wagons are the worst for exhaust drone, especially in 4cyl DOD (AMF),
I know, as I have a L77, and purchased Stock SSV rear mufflers, had them on for 1 trip to Gippsland, and back, and had to remove them,

Whereas there is a fix for it I believe, another JC's member did exactly what I wanted to do, and he did it, and it fixed it.
I have been looking for a stock L77 Calais exhaust Mid-section, as I am going to modify it and see if that stops the drone,
If it does, I will be re-fitting the SSV rear mufflers.

Zanda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Wagon
The Aussie V8 was a great sounding engine, I know, I had a 1977 LX M20 V8 Torana, and installed Extractors, wasn't loud, just a nice burble.

However, you won't get the same sound out a VE V8, but it will sound nice,
keeping in mind, the wagons are the worst for exhaust drone, especially in 4cyl DOD (AMF),
I know, as I have a L77, and purchased Stock SSV rear mufflers, had them on for 1 trip to Gippsland, and back, and had to remove them,

Whereas there is a fix for it I believe, another JC's member did exactly what I wanted to do, and he did it, and it fixed it.
I have been looking for a stock L77 Calais exhaust Mid-section, as I am going to modify it and see if that stops the drone,
If it does, I will be re-fitting the SSV rear mufflers.
Interesting. Yeah there was a bit of drone and boominess on our recent trip to Torquay.

I picked up a cargo/boot blind which I thought may slightly reduce it, but it's made a huge difference. To me it sounds like an ~80% reduction!

Almost no boomy sound and drone is minimal, but can still hear the exhaust on acceleration almost the same as before.

Last edited:

mtd

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S1 Calais V V8
I think that sounds nice. For me, I want it heard - but not like i'm living in hoonsville. Classy.
I really, really wish my exhaust would fall off. Alternatively, the mechanic said "got some bad news buddy, must replace your exhaust" g r i n. :cool:.

Me - "Hey wife, gotta replace the bloody exhaust! I'm just so frustrated and sad"
Wife - "Oh no, oh well, you know these things do happen - age gets to us all".
Me - "Yeah, I guess". ;)

My Calais V sounds nice when I open it up, but docile on startup/cruising - and I know that's the model talking - but I can dream...

Last edited: