Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

hotting up your VL is dangerous

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
THEIRS NO SUCH THING AS AN ACCIDENT

So if your driving along a road at say...50km p/h in the snow and a driver accidently takes a corner a little too fast, spins out and t-bones your car, that's not an accident?

You could be the world's best driver, and still crash a car. Just look at Peter Brock for example. It's not only your own driving you have to be wary about out on the roads. It can happen to anyone and anywhere.

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
I agree with that. you can really feel the car rolling around. Ive never driven a lowered vl or any car for that matter. interesting to feel difference i think.

oh and what do drum brakes look like? i was having a conversation the other night about breaks and we didnt knwo if i had drums on the rear.

On a different note. i might be meetig the owner of the worlds fastest sedan on sunday. 5.96 seconds

That fastest sedan isnt john zappier that drives a tin top doorslammer monaro by ne chance is it?? lol

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
VL's arent dangerous... I could drive one in my sleep.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

1vngal

Reaction score
Members Ride
'Ruby' 1991 VN Exec & '98 Proton M21 Coupe
Can you get it on video when you try. I'd love to see it.

I was thinking the same thing. Me thinks we have another Mr Invincable on our hands....

Shortstuff

Random
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Golf GTI PP
The car the VL was based on (Opel Monza/Rekord and Vauxhall Royale) were mostly produced as a 2.5 or 3 litre straight 6. There was a 'high performance' GSE coupe available in the late 70s and early 80s which had 134kw, so the VL should be more than able to handle the 6 cylinder 114kw engine or even the 122kw V8 that most of them have.

slo_firo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Ute
hahaha i had a vl calais as my second car (after a mini which i still have btw) lol dangerous???? giv a rwd car to a 15 yr old hahaha was the most fun id ever had,

their not that bad, i found the brakes werent the best but sufficient, and i had king springs in mine anyway, but yea the factory springs are quite soft (i have a junk yard od dead commies)

hahaha and i drove mine in my sleep - well woke up in a hedge anyway

-UNKNOWN-

Reaction score
Members Ride
'95 VR S2 BT1 5 Speed, N13 Pulsar Vector
I was thinking the same thing. Me thinks we have another Mr Invincable on our hands....

Mr Invincable eh?! Did I ever say I could drive it off a cliff and survive? No. I was implying that standard VL's are slow. No need to be smart ass' about it.

jatsvl

NEEDS MORE POWER!
Reaction score
Members Ride
vl exec wagon
I think the vn is the worst for over steer when they go there's little chance of pulling them back, but in saying that most of what has been said about the vl in this thread sounds like inexperience. I think every new learner should have to experince an out of control car (in very controlled conditions i.e. at driving school) the vl is more than capable of taking the **** and i haven't heard of any falling apart or loosing diffs and suspension whilst over steering a corner, ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN!! misjudgement & inexperience cause them stupidity & innattentive driving is no accident get some experience and get too know YOUR car then hotting them up won't be such an issue for you. NO TWO VL'S ARE THE SAME AFTER TWENTY YEARS I haven't lost control of mine but I brought one and fixed it up for sale was driving in the wet out side a local police station touched the throttle a little lost it went over the medium into oncoming traffic no crash thankfully but it showed me this vl was nothing like mine I am sure this never would have happened in my car as i have rounded that corner oversteering afew times uneventfully. know your car know your limits and ENJOY your VL no matter how hot it is.

GLD-086

Reaction score
Mr Invincable eh?! Did I ever say I could drive it off a cliff and survive? No. I was implying that standard VL's are slow. No need to be smart ass' about it.

Saying you could drive a VL in your sleep, wasn't being a smartass?:rolleyes:

Like I said before a standard VL, has more then enough power for the unexperienced driver. (I don't care about V6s or anything else, so don't give me this "VLs are slow" ****)

I have grippy tyres on mine, so it wont chirp as easily. I think it's a good thing though.;)