Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

HOW 2 Paint my interior!!!

M

misslisa

HOOH K!!! I have searched this forum and cant find step by step instructions on painting my interior, found some awesome pictures of other members painted interiors and I wanna change mine!!!

I know how to pull the dash apart, what I want to know is there any special tricks to painting?
Primer paints?
Sanding?
Clear Coats?
etc etc :bang:

I was thinking just to buy some spray cans of the silver I want and just spraying straight away, then I saw a mates car that was all chipped and looked terrible, he just resprays it every now and then but it looks like crap!

If you have done this yourself with a proffesional finish, can you please let me know the how to's....... THANKS

VS Omega

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Omega
Vinyl Dye is an amazing thing, you won't be getting silver/interesting colours but it creates a solid effect which looks factory and never comes off if you've prepared the surface properly.. here's some things I've dyed (oh.. the dye is good because it leaves the smallest details.. not really good for scratched up surfaces though)

Last edited:

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
I saw a product by VHT advertised in a car mag.
It's a vinyl dye like juzza was talking about.
Here's a link to their site.

M

misslisa

Hey thanks for the link tigervx Im in nz, but saw there are stockist like repco and supercheap that are here in nz. And they have a silver satin!! Will be heading there tomorrow to suss it all out! thanks for the info

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
Yeah thats it the VHT stuff but if you go white like I did on my door trims expect it to get dirty pretty quick and it looks like **** now, I did it about 6 months ago.

TigerVX

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VX Commodore
ucwepn said:
Yeah thats it the VHT stuff but if you go white like I did on my door trims expect it to get dirty pretty quick and it looks like **** now, I did it about 6 months ago.
Got any pics mate?

fatduck84

Reaction score
Members Ride
Boring White VT
yeah i wouldnt mind seeing some

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
the reason some paintwork on interior pieces flakes off is usually due to poor prep or sh*thouse paint.
just taking off the pieces you want and dusting them off and spraying them is not good enough! the paintwork will only be as good as the prep done for its foundation.
you'll need to sand down the pieces your goin to spray then clean them very thoroughly in wax and grease remover/prep sol...try as much as possible to not leave finger prints, the acid from your skin will eat away the paint from underneath.
once the pieces are bone dry (and i mean dry!) you can apply the two/three coats of primer evenly.
then repeat the sanding and cleaning process again.(very gentle sanding...if you go too far into the primer your gunna have to start all over again)

now you can start spraying the colour you've chosen...do a couple of coats (you can really do as many as you want...without goin too overboard)
if you do more than three you can wet sand afterwards and get a really nice finish.
to wet sand you need to be VERY gentle and use a bottle of water to wet the area your sanding...all your doin is smoothing over the paint so its got a showroom finish.
if you wanted to apply clear coats you could...but i doubt it would need it..up to you really.
might be worth you while to source someone will a compressor and spray gun or hire one for a day...will make the job alot better than using a can of crap.