Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How are people not getting rub on 20x10 rims

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I'm not much for drags...but that's a great idea for those who want to put big sidewall tyres on for the track
I wasn't implying that you wanted to drag, just an example of what you can fit under the rear guards with the correct offset.
Someone else mentioned that HSV uses the +57 offset for all their current 9.5/10" rear wheels.

arthurk

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Redline VFII / SSV Motorsport KOM0993
Koya suggested they sell 10” +42 as standard fit rear, for VF. I was guessing the extra 6mm would help. We’ll see next Monday I guess.

That will fit but will have a fair amount of camber added to the rear to get them under the guards. Granted you arent lowering and you are stretching the rear tyre so it should be no problem. They Koya guys always say it will fit with the assumption of maxing out the camber. If you ask them that you dont want to run aggressive camber and have stock setup they will advise against the 10" and direct you to a 9 or 9.5" rear.

To give you an indication I put the spirit level against mine this morning and the tyre runs flush with the guard that has been rolled. I have lowered the car only 15mm so virtually stock. Biggest difference here is I run a 285 rear and you will be running a 275 with slight stretch so you should be ok. I think the fronts are going to be more touch and go than the rears. Mine is an 8.5 +36 and your is 9.5 +38 making it 10mm further out than me and that is not going to sit under the guard without once again maxing out the camber. Interestingly both your setup and mine are exactly the same on the finished look. I dont see how it would work without a guard roll.

Today was the first time I managed to get the tyre to rub up against the guard and bumper connection point. All it took was a slightly fast right hand turn to get it to touch and rub taking out a small patch of internal paint. Worse case scenario is you will need to roll the guards if the stretched tyre doesnt eliminate the problem.

Attachments

• 20180514_203423_LI.jpg
    20180514_203423_LI.jpg
    917.6 KB · Views: 439
  • 20180514_203503_LI.jpg
    20180514_203503_LI.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 407

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
That will fit but will have a fair amount of camber added to the rear to get them under the guards. Granted you arent lowering and you are stretching the rear tyre so it should be no problem. They Koya guys always say it will fit with the assumption of maxing out the camber. If you ask them that you dont want to run aggressive camber and have stock setup they will advise against the 10" and direct you to a 9 or 9.5" rear.

To give you an indication I put the spirit level against mine this morning and the tyre runs flush with the guard that has been rolled. I have lowered the car only 15mm so virtually stock. Biggest difference here is I run a 285 rear and you will be running a 275 with slight stretch so you should be ok. I think the fronts are going to be more touch and go than the rears. Mine is an 8.5 +36 and your is 9.5 +38 making it 10mm further out than me and that is not going to sit under the guard without once again maxing out the camber. Interestingly both your setup and mine are exactly the same on the finished look. I dont see how it would work without a guard roll.

Today was the first time I managed to get the tyre to rub up against the guard and bumper connection point. All it took was a slightly fast right hand turn to get it to touch and rub taking out a small patch of internal paint. Worse case scenario is you will need to roll the guards if the stretched tyre doesnt eliminate the problem.
Well, the guys at Koya suggested that the figment was fairly standard and if anything, mine was a tad more conservative. I guess we’ll see. I don’t want to roll guards, if possible.

John Revill

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.2L A6
What is the secret to getting 20x10 rims to fit on a VF series 2 with ultra low king springs front and rear. Have also had guards rolled.

I had 20x11's and had rubbing around town. So shop swapped for some nice 20x10s and was fine around town. But just done my first open road trip and getting bad rubbing especially on fast corners with bumps in middle of them. Or over railway lines at speeds over 90km per hour.

Rims I have are BGW Spiker 20x10 with plus 40 offset. Tires 275 35r20
View attachment 191402
The stock 20x10" have a 45 offset. This means to 40 offset will stick out 5mm more than stock.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
I run 20 x 10 +48 275/30/20 no rolling no rubbing. perfect.

U1MPyaF.jpg

M0h42vg.jpg
Love the look on Silver, those wheels are perfect for your car, beautiful. My rears are +48 too, not lowered, but seem to have enough also. I run the 275s on my 10.5" rears and although a tad stretched, they work nicely.