Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How are people not getting rub on 20x10 rims

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
What is the secret to getting 20x10 rims to fit on a VF series 2 with ultra low king springs front and rear. Have also had guards rolled.

I had 20x11's and had rubbing around town. So shop swapped for some nice 20x10s and was fine around town. But just done my first open road trip and getting bad rubbing especially on fast corners with bumps in middle of them. Or over railway lines at speeds over 90km per hour.

Rims I have are BGW Spiker 20x10 with plus 40 offset. Tires 275 35r20
Guys who fitted them said they have done quite a few with no issues of rubbing.

Here is picture of my right rear tire after getting home from holiday tonight. Can easily see its getting rubbed to crap on edge of it. Left had side seems not to bad and only touched a couple of minor times. With no marks on it.
2017-04-15 21_42_26-1695E1E8-0622-4B25-B085-636F82C0914B.JPG ‎- Photos.png

Do I need to just give up and go to a more standard 20x9 on the rear like Holden or HSV do. Would suck as really want to keep the aggressive stance.
Else my current front rims is BGW Spiker 20x9 plus 30 offset with 255 35r20's. Do I do same on back? As fronts are fine.

Any advise. And roads I drive on can be quite bumpy with few pot holes.

Last edited:

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Upon further inspection. I think back wheels are actually hitting bumper brackets in the rear. Had a look under rim and even though shop filled them back to the screw. Its definitely where tires are hitting.
So it might be a case of modifying theses if I can. Or I guess 9 inch rims will clear bumper brackets.

3519AD0B-3657-41E8-AFC8-A5172806AB55.JPG

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
It's just too low. Low + bumpy + aggressive fitment just doesn't work. Raise it or change wheels.

+40 offset is probably what's hurting the most.

bbunnys

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VFII SS
Hijacking my own thread :)
How much higher are king springs super low vs ultra low. Car while looking good like below with ultra lows is not practical. Currently 247mm from wheel center to bottom of guard.
Would it be another 20mm higher with super lows. Cant find exact numbers online. I think id need 20-30mm to make it clear bumper brackets.

Looking at
KHFL-151SL front
KHRL-152SSL rear

IMG_0112.JPG

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
In answer to the rubbing question, are the wheels the wrong offset?
I'm looking at your photos, and those tyres look quite - to use the parlance of 'stance'-people - stretched. They don't look like the tread itself would be particularly wider than what's fitted to the 20x9.5's as fitted by Holden. That 12mm-ish width difference in wheel-width is, like 6mm-ish back & front, then looking at the photo & looking at how far-in the tread seems to be from the lip of the rim, that tyre slicing is way more then 6mm from that rim lip.

I mean, I could be misreading the photo, sometimes angles etc don't look the same on a photo.

n3wbi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS V RedLine
I'm actually looking to put 20's on my car also, with a 10" wide rear, i was told anything with a offset of anything under 45 for rear and ur gonna have issues like you are.

Basically offset +45 will do the trick. (i think)

Kinda hard to find anything 10" atm that wont gimme issues, so i think i might go 9" all round.

Some good info here:

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/ss-v-lowering-question-and-advice.263742/

I also would like to hear from owner with 20".

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
n3wbi3, HSV offers optional 20x10's on Clubbies and I'm pretty sure they don't run any guard mods c/f a Commodore. I think it's all in the offset.

n3wbi3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS V RedLine
Forg, everything i like doesnt come more then +42 offset 20x10, and i aint paying those HSV prices. lol

Currently in love with the Koya SF08

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ahh ... I was focusing on the solution, with not enough attention paid to the cost of said solution. :)

H

harrop.senator

If you ran a stiffer spring rate it may change if its not scrubbing around town. If you're not using as much stroke it means you're obviously only having the issue when it tucks right up. You can either raise it so base height is higher and hopefully doesnt get low enough to scrub it on full noise in twisties.

Or tighten it right up so it sits as low but barely moves. You'll lose a little bit of ride comfort but be able to keep its sacked.

Are the vfs still the seperate spring set up or finally conventional spring over shock? Some 10kg coil overs would be best so you can wind the lower leg up and down to get the height perfect.