Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can I speed up kickdowns?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
hey guys

my s/c vs calais has an interesting trait that shows up when going from an 80 zone to a 100 zone (with my driving lol) This did not occur before I got the 10psi pulley so I'm assuming its just rearing its ugly head because of the extra power.

When cruising at 80 (presumably in o/d with the torque converter locked) and you boot it, as the kickdown occurs, the gearbox seems to be a bit too slow to grab the next gear down and the car revs right out to the limiter. It just makes it to the limiter when the gear grabs and you finally start to accelerate.

Its not "the gearbox is broken" slow, just a bit slower than I would like it to be. My question is what do I need to change to speed up the kickdowns a bit... I know a shift kit will improve the upshifts but will it do the same for kickdowns? if not, what will?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, a shift kit will work wonders on kickdowns...i know mine does.
mine is super sensitive to any extra acceleration - its really cool, lol...it makes driving so much more enjoyable, to be able to power out of a corner or roundabout without needing to manually shift down, or just for those times you need sudden accleration to overtake, etc..
i "think" just increasing the line pressure (which can be done in kalmaker) of the trans will have similar effects...someone else may be able to confirm this.

Spaced

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS Commodore Exec
hey guys

my s/c vs calais has an interesting trait that shows up when going from an 80 zone to a 100 zone (with my driving lol) This did not occur before I got the 10psi pulley so I'm assuming its just rearing its ugly head because of the extra power.

When cruising at 80 (presumably in o/d with the torque converter locked) and you boot it, as the kickdown occurs, the gearbox seems to be a bit too slow to grab the next gear down and the car revs right out to the limiter. It just makes it to the limiter when the gear grabs and you finally start to accelerate.

Its not "the gearbox is broken" slow, just a bit slower than I would like it to be. My question is what do I need to change to speed up the kickdowns a bit... I know a shift kit will improve the upshifts but will it do the same for kickdowns? if not, what will?

Mate this is to do with your current tune. You need to run either a new memcal (can get one from Doctor Bob for a small price). Or get a shiftkit. Even if you get the shiftkit I cannot garuntee it will fix the problem because you're engine management is getting different to standard info (getting confused). Doctor bob's chip should change your shift points again. This is similar to my car it's either age of gearbox or the downshift solenoid.

Lol sircruise is too quick for me. Maybe have a quick run as a passengar in sircruise's car at the cruise?

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
Mate this is to do with your current tune. You need to run either a new memcal (can get one from Doctor Bob for a small price). Or get a shiftkit. Even if you get the shiftkit I cannot garuntee it will fix the problem because you're engine management is getting different to standard info (getting confused). Doctor bob's chip should change your shift points again. This is similar to my car it's either age of gearbox or the downshift solenoid.

Lol sircruise is too quick for me. Maybe have a quick run as a passengar in sircruise's car at the cruise?

I considered one of doctor bobs chips but I hate to spend money thats going to be thrown away later... if i got a chip it would only get turfed when I got a dyno tune done anyway...

Pretty sure its just lack of line pressure... feels that way anyway...

but yeah I wouldn't mind seeing how yours is as a passenger pete if you are up for that?

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
yeah, you can sit in as a passenger for a spin, no worries mate.....maybe even drive if your lucky, lol.

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
ahh yes maybe but only if you want to drive t3h L67!!!! :D:D:D

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
mmm, sounds good to me! :thumbsup:

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
ever thought about a shift kit, i have one in mine, & its basically instant reaction, plus it shifts way harder

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
ever thought about a shift kit, i have one in mine, & its basically instant reaction, plus it shifts way harder

you must have only read the 2 thirds of my post to ask that. In answer to your question "yes"

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
you can definitly alter the way it shifts using kalmaker both up and down shifts by mod's to the ecu/memcal but would work best in conjuction with a good shift kit