Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How can you tell if your car is genuine?

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
I have both a VT Berlina and a VX Berlina. The VT is a 11/98 build and the VX a 2002. I was just checking out the "value" of the cars on a well known but misleading website I'll decline to name, and it claimed VT Berlinas were not made in 1998. Now I'm having this stupid thought - maybe it's not really a Berlina? I know it's a stupid thought because the time, effort and expense involved in prettying up an exec to make it look like a Berlina is just ridiculous, but let's just say for a moment someone out there decided that's how they wanted to spend their weekends for a while, how would you know? The compliance plates only say "Holden VT P/Car" which I know is standard for any Commodore flavour (at least from around those models. If it's changed recently I wouldn't know.), you whack a new garnish and lights on the back and to the uneducated you've got yourself a Berlina (throw some car seat covers on for good measure).
Is there some indisputable way of determining what tier of Commodore you have? Can the VIN tell you somehow? I think it would be a handy thing to know.
Thanks.

exec24

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Berlina Series 2
they definitely built VT berlinas in 1998 my mate has one

you cant just make a Commodore a Berlina the first thing that would give it away is climate control a/c

and as mentioned above in the VIN
6H8VTK= executive based
6H8VTL=berlina based
6H8VTX=calais based

SPOOFY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 OTR
Hey RiffRaffMama if you're lucky and it's still there you will find a vehicle build sheet that has everything that was originally put into the car when it was manufactured at Holden.
You'll find it under the back seat somewhere under The carpet in the back.
I found mine and it's a pretty cool thing to have.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Hey RiffRaffMama if you're lucky and it's still there you will find a vehicle build sheet that has everything that was originally put into the car when it was manufactured at Holden.
You'll find it under the back seat somewhere under The carpet in the back.
I found mine and it's a pretty cool thing to have.
So I'd have to lift out/up the rear seat and it's what, fixed to the floor? A piece of paper? What am I looking for? I've never heard about that before and it sounds awesome!

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
you cant just make a Commodore a Berlina the first thing that would give it away is climate control a/c
True. Didn't think of that. I was basing this though on the premise that the potential purchaser of said imaginary vehicle was ignorant enough that they saw "Berlina" on the back end and thought it must be.

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not sure about the above link ............... "VT COMMODORE 6H8VTL69HVL - V6 SEDAN BERLINA"
I had a VT Berlina, VIN 6H8 VT L 69 H W L 262178. As per the owners manual, the W indicated that it was built in 1998.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-to-check-your-vin.113858/
Thanks for the link. This list checks out just fine too, until I get to the year codes. My Berlina says it has a build date of 11/1998 which should be represented by a W at the end of my VIN (before the tag number). I have an X. Going by the list, I would have expected an X represented 1999 builds (assuming the list continued in the fashion where it advances a year for each letter):
V=Model Year Code.
V=1997.
W=1998.
?=1999
Things get really messy when I check my VX against the list. Everything goes great until the engine code:
H=Engine code.
H=3800/3.8 V6.
S=3800/3.8 S/C V6.
M=5000 Injection V8.

I have an A. What the hell is an A?? Then it has a 2. There's no 2 on the year code list, but the list does max out at 2001 and my VX is supposed to be a 2002, so that may be explainable.
Anybody have a theory, idea, other list?

SPOOFY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT V6 OTR
So I'd have to lift out/up the rear seat and it's what, fixed to the floor? A piece of paper? What am I looking for? I've never heard about that before and it sounds awesome!
Yeah mate it's like an A4 size print out of all numbers and items the manufacturer installed on the build including optional extras.
I think all vehicles have one but definitely all the Holdens I've owned have had one. It'll be folded up under The carpet ,I think on the drivers side.